Macroeconomic effects of the regional allocation of public capital formation
This paper proposes a multi-regional, general equilibrium model with capital accumulation to analyze the economic impact of the spatial distribution of public capital formation. This model is calibrated and solved by using data for the Spanish economy in order to simulate some comparative dynamic exercises of fiscal policy changes. These analyses illustrate the role that public investment plays in generating the existing imbalances in regional development. This is done by computing the spillover effects and the opportunity costs of regional distribution of public investment. Finally, two rankings of regional priorities in public investment can be derived: one based on the criterion of reducing regional disparities, and another based on an efficiency criterion.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger E. A. Farmer & Amartya Lahiri, 2005.
"A Two-Country Model of Endogenous Growth,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(1), pages 68-88, January.
- Marianne Baxter, 1995.
"International Trade and Business Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
5025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
"Public Finance in Models of Economic Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
630, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marianne Baxter & Mario J. Crucini, 1994.
"Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
4975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baxter, Marianne & Crucini, Mario J, 1995. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(4), pages 821-54, November.
- Marianne Baxter & Mario J. Crucini, 1992. "Business cycles and the asset structure of foreign trade," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 59, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Baxter, M. & Crucini, M., 1991. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," RCER Working Papers 316, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Angel de la Fuente, 2003.
"El impacto de los Fondos Estructurales: Convergencia real y cohesión interna,"
Hacienda Pública Española,
IEF, vol. 165(2), pages 122-129, June.
- Angel de la Fuente, . "El impacto de los Fondos Estructurales: Convergencia real y cohesión interna," Studies on the Spanish Economy 158, FEDEA.
- Angel de la Fuente, 2003. "El impacto de los Fondos Estructurales: Convergencia real y cohesi? interna," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 572.03, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Rosina Moreno Serrano & Manuel Artis Ortuno & Enrique Lopez Bazo & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1997. "Evidence on the complex link between infrastructure and regional growth," Working Papers in Economics 19, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Garcia-Mila, Teresa & McGuire, Therese J., 1992. "The contribution of publicly provided inputs to states' economies," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 229-241, June.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1992. "Policy Watch: Infrastructure Investment and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 189-198, Fall.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Shi, Shouyong, 1991.
"Capital accumulation and the current account in a two-country model,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 1-25, February.
- Michael B. Devereux & Shouyong Shi, 1989. "Capital Accumulation and the Current Account in a Two-Country Model," Working Papers 761, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1991.
"Tax distortions in a neoclassical monetary economy,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
38, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Hansen, Gary D., 1992. "Tax distortions in a neoclassical monetary economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 290-316, December.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1991. "Tax Distortions in a Neoclassical Monetary Economy," RCER Working Papers 265, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1991. "The Distortions in a Neoclassical Monetary Economy," Papers 91-01, Rochester, Business - General.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K & Romer, Paul M, 1992.
"On Characterizing Equilibria of Economies with Externalities and Taxes as Solutions to Optimization Problems,"
Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine & Paul M. Romer, 1990. "On characterizing equilibria of economies with externalities and taxes as solutions to optimization problems," Working Papers 436, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Robert J. Barro, 1988.
"Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth," Scholarly Articles 3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Francisco Pérez García & Matilde Mas Ivars & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 1995.
"Infrastructures And Productivity In The Spanish Regions,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1995-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Matilde Mas & Joaquin Maudos & Francisco Perez & Ezequiel Uriel, 1996. "Infrastructures and Productivity in the Spanish Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 641-649.
- Arcalean, Calin & Glomm, Gerhard & Schiopu, Ioana, 2012.
"Growth effects of spatial redistribution policies,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 988-1008.
- Calin Arcalean & Gerhard Glomm & Ioana Schiopu, 2007. "Growth Effects of Spatial Redistribution Policies," Caepr Working Papers 2007-002, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Calin Arcalean & Gerhard Glomm & Ioana Cosmina Schiopu, 2012. "Growth Effects of Spatial Redistribution Policies," CESifo Working Paper Series 3728, CESifo Group Munich.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1987.
"International real business cycles,"
426, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Rioja, Felix K., 1999. "Productiveness and welfare implications of public infrastructure: a dynamic two-sector general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 387-404, April.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Razin, Assaf & Tesar, Linda L., 1994.
"Effective tax rates in macroeconomics: Cross-country estimates of tax rates on factor incomes and consumption,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 297-323, December.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Assaf Razin & Linda L. Tesar, 1994. "Effective Tax Rates in Macroeconomics: Cross-Country Estimates of Tax Rates on Factor Incomes and Consumption," NBER Working Papers 4864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosina Moreno & Enrique LÃ³pez-Bazo, 2007. "Returns to Local and Transport Infrastructure under Regional Spillovers," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 30(1), pages 47-71, January.
- Sims, Christopher A, 2002.
"Solving Linear Rational Expectations Models,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 20(1-2), pages 1-20, October.
- Christopher Sims, 2001. "Matlab Code for Solving Linear Rational Expectations Models," QM&RBC Codes 11, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese J. McGuire & Robert H. Porter, 1993.
"The effect of public capital in state-level production functions reconsidered,"
Economics Working Papers
36, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Garcia-Mila, Teresa & McGuire, Therese J & Porter, Robert H, 1996. "The Effect of Public Capital in State-Level Production Functions Reconsidered," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 177-80, February.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 2002. "Is the Allocation of Public Capital Across the Spanish Regions too Redistributive?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3138, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lipton, David & Sachs, Jeffrey, 1983. "Accumulation and growth in a two-country model : A simulation approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 135-159, August.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Fisher, Walter H & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1998. "Public Investment, Congestion, and Private Capital Accumulation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 399-413, March.
- Baxter, Marianne, 1995. "International trade and business cycles," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 35, pages 1801-1864 Elsevier.
- Ono, Y. & Shibata, A., 1990.
"Spill-Over Effects Of Supply-Side Changes In A Two-Country Economy With Capital Accumulation,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0232, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ono, Yoshiyasu & Shibata, Akihisa, 1992. "Spill-over effects of supply-side changes in a two-country economy with capital accumulation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 127-146, August.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1994. "Public-Sector Capital and the Productivity Puzzle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 12-21, February.
- Pereira, Alfredo Marvao & Roca-Sagales, Oriol, 2003.
"Spillover effects of public capital formation: evidence from the Spanish regions,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 238-256, March.
- Alfredo Marvao Pereira & Oriol Roca Sagalés, 2002. "Spillover effects of public capital formation : evidence from the spanish regions," Working Papers wpdea0210, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Luis A. Puch & Omar Licandro, 1997. "Are there any special features in the Spanish business cycle?," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 21(2), pages 361-394, May.
- Evans, Paul & Karras, Georgios, 1994. "Are Government Activities Productive? Evidence from a Panel of U.S. States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Rioja Felix K., 2005. "Roads versus Schooling: Growth Effects of Government Choices," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-24, April.
- Bianconi, Marcelo, 1995. "Fiscal policy in a simple two-country dynamic model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 395-419.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:39:y:2009:i:5:p:563-574. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.