Macroeconomic Effects From The Regional Allocation Of Public Capital Formation
This paper proposes a multi-regional, general equilibrium model with capital accumulation to analyze the economic impact of the spatial distribution of public capital formation. This model is calibrated and solved by using data for the Spanish economy in order to simulate some comparative dynamic exercises of fiscal policy changes. These analyses illustrate the role that public investment plays in generating the existing imbalances in regional development. This is done by computing the spillover effects and the opportunity costs of regional distribution of public investment. Finally, two rankings of regional priorities in public investment can be derived: one based on the criterion of reducing regional disparities, and other based of an efficiency criterion.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marianne Baxter & Mario J. Crucini, 1992.
"Business cycles and the asset structure of foreign trade,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
59, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Baxter, Marianne & Crucini, Mario J, 1995. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(4), pages 821-54, November.
- Marianne Baxter & Mario J. Crucini, 1994. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," NBER Working Papers 4975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baxter, M. & Crucini, M., 1991. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," RCER Working Papers 316, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Farmer, Roger E A & Lahiri, Amartya, 2002.
"A Two-Country Model of Endogenous Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3245, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael B. Devereux & Shouyong Shi, 1989.
"Capital Accumulation and the Current Account in a Two-Country Model,"
761, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Shi, Shouyong, 1991. "Capital accumulation and the current account in a two-country model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 1-25, February.
- Angel de la Fuente, .
"El impacto de los Fondos Estructurales: Convergencia real y cohesión interna,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Angel de la Fuente, 2003. "El impacto de los Fondos Estructurales: Convergencia real y cohesión interna," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 165(2), pages 122-129, June.
- Angel de la Fuente, 2003. "El impacto de los Fondos Estructurales: Convergencia real y cohesi? interna," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 572.03, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Matilde Mas & Joaquin Maudos & Francisco Perez & Ezequiel Uriel, 1996.
"Infrastructures and Productivity in the Spanish Regions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 641-649.
- Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Francisco Pérez García & Matilde Mas Ivars & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 1995. "Infrastructures And Productivity In The Spanish Regions," Working Papers. Serie EC 1995-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1991.
"International real business cycles,"
146, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Garcia-Mila, Teresa & McGuire, Therese J., 1992. "The contribution of publicly provided inputs to states' economies," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 229-241, June.
- Bianconi, Marcelo, 1995. "Fiscal policy in a simple two-country dynamic model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 395-419.
- Calin Arcalean & Gerhard Glomm & Ioana Schiopu, 2007.
"Growth Effects of Spatial Redistribution Policies,"
Caepr Working Papers
2007-002, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Hansen, Gary D., 1992.
"Tax distortions in a neoclassical monetary economy,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 290-316, December.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1991. "Tax Distortions in a Neoclassical Monetary Economy," RCER Working Papers 265, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1991. "The Distortions in a Neoclassical Monetary Economy," Papers 91-01, Rochester, Business - General.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1991. "Tax distortions in a neoclassical monetary economy," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 38, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Luis Puch & Omar Licandro, .
"Are there any special features in the Spanish business cycles?,"
- Luis A. Puch & Omar Licandro, 1997. "Are there any special features in the Spanish business cycle?," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 21(2), pages 361-394, May.
- Alfonso Novales & Emilio Dominguez & Javier J. Perez & Jesus Ruiz, 1998. "Solving Non-linear Rational Expectations Models By Eigenvalue-Eigenvector Decompositions," QM&RBC Codes 124, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Ono, Y. & Shibata, A., 1990.
"Spill-Over Effects Of Supply-Side Changes In A Two-Country Economy With Capital Accumulation,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0232, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ono, Yoshiyasu & Shibata, Akihisa, 1992. "Spill-over effects of supply-side changes in a two-country economy with capital accumulation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 127-146, August.
- Barro, R.J., 1988.
"Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth," Scholarly Articles 3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Barro, 1988. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sims, Christopher A, 2002.
"Solving Linear Rational Expectations Models,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 20(1-2), pages 1-20, October.
- Christopher Sims, 2001. "Matlab Code for Solving Linear Rational Expectations Models," QM&RBC Codes 11, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1992. "Policy Watch: Infrastructure Investment and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 189-198, Fall.
- Pereira, Alfredo Marvao & Roca-Sagales, Oriol, 2003.
"Spillover effects of public capital formation: evidence from the Spanish regions,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 238-256, March.
- Alfredo Marvao Pereira & Oriol Roca Sagalés, 2002. "Spillover effects of public capital formation : evidence from the spanish regions," Working Papers wpdea0210, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1994. "Public-Sector Capital and the Productivity Puzzle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 12-21, February.
- Lipton, David & Sachs, Jeffrey, 1983. "Accumulation and growth in a two-country model : A simulation approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 135-159, August.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 2002. "Is the Allocation of Public Capital Across the Spanish Regions too Redistributive?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3138, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rioja, Felix K., 1999. "Productiveness and welfare implications of public infrastructure: a dynamic two-sector general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 387-404, April.
- Fisher, Walter H & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1998. "Public Investment, Congestion, and Private Capital Accumulation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 399-413, March.
- Rosina Moreno Serrano & Manuel Artis Ortuno & Enrique Lopez Bazo & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1997. "Evidence on the complex link between infrastructure and regional growth," Working Papers in Economics 19, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Evans, Paul & Karras, Georgios, 1994. "Are Government Activities Productive? Evidence from a Panel of U.S. States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine & Paul M. Romer, 1990.
"On characterizing equilibria of economies with externalities and taxes as solutions to optimization problems,"
436, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K & Romer, Paul M, 1992. "On Characterizing Equilibria of Economies with Externalities and Taxes as Solutions to Optimization Problems," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Mas Ivars Matilde & Pérez García Francisco & Uriel Jiménez Ezequiel, 2005. "El stock de capital en España y su distribución territorial (1964-2002)," Books, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation, edition 0, number 201146.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:camaaa:2008-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.