System Dynamics modelling of a production and inventory system for remanufacturing to evaluate system improvement strategies
Remanufacturing activity views the reverse supply chain of reclaimed goods as integral to the traditional supply chain to the consumer. At the end of the useful life of products, a reverse supply process is activated in which unwanted materials and products are recovered from end users to recapture some of their value. Therefore, planning for the traditional supply chain of goods must take into account the recovered products. Two main processes that need to be considered are inventory control and production planning. In this paper, we model a production and inventory system for remanufacturing using a System Dynamics simulation modelling approach. The aim is to explore the dynamics of the remanufacturing process and to evaluate system improvement strategies. Specifically, the analysis focuses on the effects of capacity planning and lead times on the system which presents push and pull inventory policies driven mainly by the inventory coverage. The research findings reveal efficiency in the remanufacturing process with higher remanufacturing capacity if the quantity of remanufacturable returns and the remanufacturing lead time are increased and decreased respectively. Moreover, an increase of the production lead time has a higher effect on the system performance than an equivalent increase in the remanufacturing lead time. In addition, we provide a case study both to support these findings and to further validate the developed model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van der Laan, E.A. & Teunter, R.H., 2004.
"Simple heuristics for push and pull remanufacturing policies,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2004-090-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- van der Laan, Erwin A. & Teunter, Ruud H., 2006. "Simple heuristics for push and pull remanufacturing policies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(2), pages 1084-1102, December.
- van der Laan, E.A. & Teunter, R.H., 2004. "Simple heuristics for push and pull remanufacturing policies," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2004-34, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Fleischmann, Moritz & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline M. & Dekker, Rommert & van der Laan, Erwin & van Nunen, Jo A. E. E. & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1997. "Quantitative models for reverse logistics: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 1-17, November.
- Kiesmuller, G. P., 2003. "A new approach for controlling a hybrid stochastic manufacturing/remanufacturing system with inventories and different leadtimes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 62-71, May.
- van der Laan, Erwin & Dekker, Rommert & Salomon, Marc, 1996. "Product remanufacturing and disposal: A numerical comparison of alternative control strategies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-3), pages 489-498, August.
- van der Laan, Erwin & Salomon, Marc, 1997. "Production planning and inventory control with remanufacturing and disposal," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 264-278, October.
- Inderfurth, Karl & van der Laan, Erwin, 2001. "Leadtime effects and policy improvement for stochastic inventory control with remanufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 381-390, May.
- Prahinski, Carol & Kocabasoglu, Canan, 2006. "Empirical research opportunities in reverse supply chains," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 519-532, December.
- van der Laan, Erwin & Salomon, Marc & Dekker, Rommert, 1999. "An investigation of lead-time effects in manufacturing/remanufacturing systems under simple PUSH and PULL control strategies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 195-214, May.
- Erwin van der Laan & Marc Salomon & Rommert Dekker & Luk Van Wassenhove, 1999. "Inventory Control in Hybrid Systems with Remanufacturing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 733-747, May.
- Georgiadis, Patroklos & Vlachos, Dimitrios, 2004. "The effect of environmental parameters on product recovery," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 449-464, September.
- van der Laan, Erwin & Dekker, Rommert & Salomon, Marc & Ridder, Ad, 1996. "An (s, Q) inventory model with remanufacturing and disposal," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 339-350, December.
- Mitra, Subrata, 2007. "Revenue management for remanufactured products," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 553-562, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:144:y:2013:i:1:p:189-199. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.