Inventory Control in Hybrid Systems with Remanufacturing
This paper is on production planning and inventory control in systems where manufacturing and remanufacturing operations occur simultaneously. Typical for these hybridsystems is, that both the output of the manufacturing process and the output of the remanufacturing process can be used to fulfill customer demands. Here, we consider a relatively simple hybrid system, related to a single component durable product. For this system, we present a methodology to analyse a PUSH control strategy (in which all returned products are remanufactured as early as possible) and a PULL control strategy (in which all returned products are remanufactured as late as is convenient). The main contributions of this paper are (i) to compare traditional systems without remanufacturing to PUSH and to PULL controlled systems with remanufacturing, and (ii) to derive managerial insights into the inventory related effects of remanufacturing.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van der Laan, Erwin & Salomon, Marc & Dekker, Rommert, 1999. "An investigation of lead-time effects in manufacturing/remanufacturing systems under simple PUSH and PULL control strategies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 195-214, May.
- van der Laan, Erwin & Salomon, Marc, 1997. "Production planning and inventory control with remanufacturing and disposal," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 264-278, October.
- van der Laan, Erwin & Dekker, Rommert & Salomon, Marc & Ridder, Ad, 1996. "An (s, Q) inventory model with remanufacturing and disposal," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 339-350, December.
- Kamran Moinzadeh & Steven Nahmias, 1988. "A Continuous Review Model for an Inventory System with Two Supply Modes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(6), pages 761-773, June.
- Cho, Danny I. & Parlar, Mahmut, 1991. "A survey of maintenance models for multi-unit systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 1-23, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:5:p:733-747. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.