Simple heuristics for push and pull remanufacturing policies
Inventory policies for joint remanufacturing and manufacturing have recently received much attention. Most efforts, though, were related to (optimal) policy structures and numerical optimization, rather than closed form expressions for calculating near optimal policy parameters. The focus of this paper is on the latter. We analyze an inventory system with unit product returns and demands where remanufacturing is the cheaper alternative for manufacturing. Manufacturing is also needed, however, since there are less returns than demands. The cost structure consists of setup costs, holding costs, and backorder costs. Manufacturing and remanufacturing orders have non-zero lead times. To control the system we use certain extensions of the familiar (s,Q) policy, called push and pull remanufacturing policies. For all policies we present simple, closed form formulae for approximating the optimal policy parameters under a cost minimization objective. In an extensive numerical study we show that the proposed formulae lead to near-optimal policy parameters.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ayres, Robert & Ferrer, Geraldo & Van Leynseele, Tania, 1997. "Eco-efficiency, asset recovery and remanufacturing," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 557-574, October.
- Fleischmann, Moritz & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline M. & Dekker, Rommert & van der Laan, Erwin & van Nunen, Jo A. E. E. & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1997. "Quantitative models for reverse logistics: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 1-17, November.
- van der Laan, Erwin & Dekker, Rommert & Salomon, Marc & Ridder, Ad, 1996. "An (s, Q) inventory model with remanufacturing and disposal," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 339-350, December.
- Inderfurth, Karl & van der Laan, Erwin, 2001. "Leadtime effects and policy improvement for stochastic inventory control with remanufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 381-390, May.
- Mahadevan, B. & Pyke, David F. & Fleischmann, Moritz, 2003.
"Periodic review, push inventory policies for remanufacturing,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 536-551, December.
- Mahadevan, B. & Pyke, D.F. & Fleischmann, M., 2002. "Periodic Review, Push Inventory Policies for Remanufacturing," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-35-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Erwin van der Laan & Marc Salomon & Rommert Dekker & Luk Van Wassenhove, 1999. "Inventory Control in Hybrid Systems with Remanufacturing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 733-747, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:175:y:2006:i:2:p:1084-1102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.