The impact of trust on innovativeness and supply chain performance
Trust is identified as a significant predictor of positive performance in business relationships. On the premise that the effects of trust have not been given the deserved scholarly attention in the supply chain context, this paper investigates the effects of trust on innovativeness and supply chain performance. The hypothesised model is operationalised with survey data and analysed using structural equation modelling. The findings add credence to the positive effects of trust and identify trust and innovativeness as antecedents to higher performance in the supply chain.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey H Dyer & Wujin Chu, 2000. "The Determinants of Trust in Supplier-Automaker Relationships in the U.S., Japan and Korea," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 31(2), pages 259-285, June.
- Nooteboom, B. & Berger, H. & Noorderhaven, N.G., 1997. "Effects of trust and governance on relational risk," Other publications TiSEM 8e83932e-064c-40e8-afe7-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Chou, Yuan K., 2006. "Three simple models of social capital and economic growth," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 889-912, October.
- Bharadwaj, Neeraj & Matsuno, Ken, 2006. "Investigating the antecedents and outcomes of customer firm transaction cost savings in a supply chain relationship," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 62-72, January.
- Fynes, Brian & Voss, Chris & de Burca, Sean, 2005. "The impact of supply chain relationship quality on quality performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 339-354, June.
- Narasimhan, Ram & Nair, Anand, 2005. "The antecedent role of quality, information sharing and supply chain proximity on strategic alliance formation and performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 301-313, June.
- Stefansson, Gunnar, 2002. "Business-to-business data sharing: A source for integration of supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1-2), pages 135-146, January.
- Zhao, Meng & Stank, Theodore P., 2003. "Interactions between operational and relational capabilities in fast food service delivery," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 161-173, March.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Frambach, Ruud T. & Schillewaert, Niels, 2002. "Organizational innovation adoption: a multi-level framework of determinants and opportunities for future research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 163-176, February.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Arshinder & Kanda, Arun & Deshmukh, S.G., 2008. "Supply chain coordination: Perspectives, empirical studies and research directions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 316-335, October.
- Henry Ogden Armour & David J. Teece, 1978. "Organizational Structure and Economic Performance: A Test of the Multidivisional Hypothesis," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(1), pages 106-122, Spring.
- Steven C Currall & Andrew C Inkpen, 2002. "A Multilevel Approach to Trust in Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 33(3), pages 479-495, September.
- Hausman, Angela & Stock, James R., 2003. "Adoption and implementation of technological innovations within long-term relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(8), pages 681-686, August.
- Hollenstein, Heinz, 1996. "A composite indicator of a firm's innovativeness. An empirical analysis based on survey data for Swiss manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 633-645, June.
- Siguaw, Judy A. & Baker, Thomas L. & Simpson, Penny M., 2003. "Preliminary evidence on the composition of relational exchange and its outcomes: the distributor perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 311-322, April.
- Sako, Mari & Helper, Susan, 1998. "Determinants of trust in supplier relations: Evidence from the automotive industry in Japan and the United States," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 387-417, March.
- Rutner, Stephen M. & Gibson, Brian J. & Williams, Susan R., 2003. "The impacts of the integrated logistics systems on electronic commerce and enterprise resource planning systems," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 83-93, March.
- Li, Wenli & Humphreys, Paul K. & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Edwin Cheng, T.C., 2007. "The impact of specific supplier development efforts on buyer competitive advantage: an empirical model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 230-247, March.
- Hakansson, Hakan & Ford, David, 2002. "How should companies interact in business networks?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 133-139, February.
- Daugherty, Patricia J. & Richey, R. Glenn & Roath, Anthony S. & Min, Soonhong & Chen, Haozhe & Arndt, Aaron D. & Genchev, Stefan E., 2006. "Is collaboration paying off for firms?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 61-70.
- Fynes, Brian & de Burca, Sean & Mangan, John, 2008. "The effect of relationship characteristics on relationship quality and performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 56-69, January.
- Jane E Fountain, 1998. "Social capital: Its relationship to innovation in science and technology," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 103-115, April.
- Holmen, Elsebeth & Pedersen, Ann-Charlott & Torvatn, Tim, 2005. "Building relationships for technological innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(9), pages 1240-1250, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:122:y:2009:i:1:p:35-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.