The effect of organisational change on UK public library efficiency
Restructuring of local authority services, beginning in 1995/6, changed the organization of public library services in some areas, but not in others. This event provides an opportunity to assess the effect of organizational change on the technical efficiency of library services. A longitudinal data set is used to estimate efficiency scores using a time varying, multi-output stochastic distance function, which is estimated using maximum likelihood methods. Overall, there is little apparent difference in the efficiency of library systems, whether restructured or not. More detailed analysis shows that initially efficiency was reduced, but the scores change over time and higher relative efficiency is implied in subsequent periods.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DeBoer, Larry, 1992. "Economies of scale and input substitution in public libraries," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 257-268, September.
- Sergio Destefanis & Vania Sena, 2004.
"Patterns Of Corporate Governance And Technical Efficiency In Italian Manufacturing,"
- Sergio Destefanis & Vania Sena, 2007. "Patterns of corporate governance and technical efficiency in Italian manufacturing," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(1), pages 27-40.
- Gorman, Michael F. & Ruggiero, John, 2008. "Evaluating US state police performance using data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 1031-1037, June.
- Reichmann, Gerhard & Sommersguter-Reichmann, Margit, 2006. "University library benchmarking: An international comparison using DEA," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 131-147, March.
- Villalonga, Belen, 2000. "Privatization and efficiency: differentiating ownership effects from political, organizational, and dynamic effects," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-74, May.
- Rodriguez-Alvarez, Ana & Tovar, Beatriz & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2007. "Firm and time varying technical and allocative efficiency: An application to port cargo handling firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1-2), pages 149-161, September.
- Andrew Worthington, 1999. "Performance Indicators and Efficiency Measurement in Public Libraries," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 32(1), pages 31-42.
- Christopher Hammond, 2002. "Efficiency in the provision of public services: a data envelopment analysis of UK public library systems," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 649-657.
- Donald F. Vitaliano, 1997. "X-Inefficiency in the Public Sector: the Case of Libraries," Public Finance Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 25(6), pages 629-643, November.
- Kevin Amess, 2003. "The Effect of Management Buyouts on Firm-level Technical Inefficiency: Evidence from a Panel of UK Machinery and Equipment Manufacturers," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 35-44, 03.
- Resende, Marcelo, 2008.
"Efficiency measurement and regulation in US telecommunications: A robustness analysis,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 205-218, July.
- Marcelo Resende, 2006. "Efficiency Measurement and Regulation in U.S. Telecommunications: A Robustness Analysis," Economics Working Papers ECO2006/15, European University Institute.
- Hammond, Christopher J., 1999. "The technology of library service provision: a cost function analysis of public library systems in the United Kingdom," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 271-295, September.
- Sharma, Khem R. & Leung, PingSun & Zane, Lynn, 1999. "Performance Measurement Of Hawaii State Public Libraries: An Application Of Data Envelopment Analysis (Dea)," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 28(2), October.
- Matthew BISHOP & David THOMPSON, 1992. "Privatisation In The Uk: Internal Organisation And Productive Efficiency," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 171-188, 04.
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Orea, Luis, 2002. "Mergers and technical efficiency in Spanish savings banks: A stochastic distance function approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2231-2247.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Iturralde, Maria José & Quirós, Cipriano, 2008. "Analysis of efficiency of the European postal sector," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 84-90, July.
- Donald F. Vitaliano, 1998. "Assessing Public Library Efficiency Using Data Envelopment Analysis," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 107-122, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:121:y:2009:i:1:p:286-295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.