Public Library Fees in Germany
This paper studies the impact of different payment schemes for public library borrowings in Germany. The number of borrowings is directly related to the holdings and the financial means of a library. Per medium fees lower the number of borrowings. However, a fixed fee just reduces the number of users. As this is counterbalanced by an increase in borrowings per user, the net effect on total borrowings is zero or even positive. Offering an alternative to a yearly fee for those who borrow only few media does not change results. From that, we conclude that a fee mainly eliminates nominal users and increases the library's effort. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.culturaleconomics.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10824/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher Hammond, 2002. "Efficiency in the provision of public services: a data envelopment analysis of UK public library systems," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 649-657.
- Hammond, Christopher J., 1999. "The technology of library service provision: a cost function analysis of public library systems in the United Kingdom," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 271-295, September.
- Nahata, Babu & Ostaszewski, Krzysztof & Sahoo, Prasanna, 1999. "Buffet Pricing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(2), pages 215-228, April.
- Skander Essegaier & Sunil Gupta & Z. John Zhang, 2002. "Pricing Access Services," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(2), pages 139-159, June.
- Donald F. Vitaliano, 1998. "Assessing Public Library Efficiency Using Data Envelopment Analysis," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 107-122, 03.