Public Library Fees in Germany
This paper studies the impact of different payment schemes for public library borrowings in Germany. The number of borrowings is directly related to the holdings and the financial means of a library. Per medium fees lower the number of borrowings. However, a fixed fee just reduces the number of users. As this is counterbalanced by an increase in borrowings per user, the net effect on total borrowings is zero or even positive. Offering an alternative to a yearly fee for those who borrow only few media does not change results. From that, we conclude that a fee mainly eliminates nominal users and increases the library's effort. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Volume (Year): 29 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.culturaleconomics.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10824/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald F. Vitaliano, 1998. "Assessing Public Library Efficiency Using Data Envelopment Analysis," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 107-122, 03.
- Skander Essegaier & Sunil Gupta & Z. John Zhang, 2002. "Pricing Access Services," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(2), pages 139-159, June.
- Hammond, Christopher J., 1999. "The technology of library service provision: a cost function analysis of public library systems in the United Kingdom," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 271-295, September.
- Christopher Hammond, 2002. "Efficiency in the provision of public services: a data envelopment analysis of UK public library systems," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 649-657.
- Nahata, Babu & Ostaszewski, Krzysztof & Sahoo, Prasanna, 1999. "Buffet Pricing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(2), pages 215-28, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:29:y:2005:i:4:p:313-324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.