Evaluating US state police performance using data envelopment analysis
In this paper, we evaluate the efficiency of state police services in the continental United States using a multiple-stage data envelopment analysis model. Using multiple inputs and multiple outputs to characterize police service provision, technical and scale efficiency are calculated for the 49 continental states. Given the complex nature of service provision, we allow for environmental factors of production and control for these non-discretionary inputs. Our results indicate that most states are technically efficient, but nearly half are operating at less than optimal scale size.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ticio, A.D. & Mancebon, M.J. & Molinero, C.M., 2000.
"The Efficiency of the Spanish Policy Service: an Application of the Multiactivity DEA Model,"
00-154, University of Southampton - Department of Accounting and Management Science.
- Amor Diez-Ticio & Maria-Jesus Mancebon, 2002. "The efficiency of the Spanish police service: an application of the multiactivity DEA model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 351-362.
- Gyimah-Brempong, Kwabena, 1987. "Economies of Scale in Municipal Police Departments: The Case of Florida," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(2), pages 352-56, May.
- Leigh M. Drake & Richard Simper, 2005. "The Measurement Of Police Force Efficiency: An Assessment Of U.K. Home Office Policy," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(4), pages 465-482, October.
- Leigh Drake & Richard Simper, 2002. "X-efficiency and scale economies in policing: a comparative study using the distribution free approach and DEA," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(15), pages 1859-1870.
- Subhash C. Ray, 1991. "Resource-Use Efficiency in Public Schools: A Study of Connecticut Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(12), pages 1620-1628, December.
- Ruggiero, John, 1996. "On the measurement of technical efficiency in the public sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 553-565, May.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Sun, Shinn, 2002. "Measuring the relative efficiency of police precincts using data envelopment analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 51-71, March.
- Leigh M. Drake & Richard Simper, 2004. "The economics of managerialism and the drive for efficiency in policing," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(8), pages 509-523.
- Ruggiero, John, 1998. "Non-discretionary inputs in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 461-469, December.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Ondrich, Jan & Ruggiero, John, 2001. "Efficiency measurement in the stochastic frontier model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 434-442, March.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Drake, Leigh & Simper, R., 2003. "The measurement of English and Welsh police force efficiency: A comparison of distance function models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 165-186, May.
- Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 1995. "Assessing police forces in England and Wales using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 641-657, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:113:y:2008:i:2:p:1031-1037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.