An environment-adjusted evaluation of citizen satisfaction with local police effectiveness: Evidence from a conditional Data Envelopment Analysis approach
Hard data alone are not sufficient to evaluate local police effectiveness in the new age of community policing. Citizens can provide useful feedback regarding strengths and weaknesses of police operations. However, citizen satisfaction indicators typically fail to accurately convey the multidimensional nature of local policing and account for characteristics that are non-controllable for the local police departments. In this paper, we construct a measure of perceived effectiveness of community oriented police forces that accounts for both multidimensional aspects of local policing and exogenous influences. In specific, this paper suggests the use of a multivariate conditional, robust order-m version of a non-parametric Data Envelopment Analysis approach with no inputs. We show the potentiality of the method by constructing and analyzing perceived effectiveness indicators of local police forces in Belgium. The findings suggest that perceived police effectiveness is significantly conditioned by the demographic and socioeconomic environment.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 223 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, Tai-Hsi & Chen, Ming-Shiun & Yeh, Jin-Yii, 2010. "Measuring the performance of police forces in Taiwan using data envelopment analysis," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 246-254, August.
- Leigh M. Drake & Richard Simper, 2004. "The economics of managerialism and the drive for efficiency in policing," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(8), pages 509-523.
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2005.
"Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-121, September.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2003. "Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach," LEM Papers Series 2003/17, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Hwang, Eui-Gab & McGarrell, Edmund F. & Benson, Bruce L., 2005. "Public satisfaction with the South Korean Police: The effect of residential location in a rapidly industrializing nation," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 585-599.
- Badin, Luiza & Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Léopold, 2010. "Optimal bandwidth selection for conditional efficiency measures: A data-driven approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 633-640, March.
- Luiza Badin & Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2008. "Optimal Bandwidth Selection for Conditional Efficiency Measures: a Data-driven Approach," LEM Papers Series 2008/22, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Leigh Drake & Richard Simper, 2002. "X-efficiency and scale economies in policing: a comparative study using the distribution free approach and DEA," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(15), pages 1859-1870.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Leopold, 2006. "A robust nonparametric approach to evaluate and explain the performance of mutual funds," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 516-542, November.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Knox Lovell, C.A. & Moesen, Wim & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2007. "One market, one number? A composite indicator assessment of EU internal market dynamics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 749-779, April.
- Laurens Cherchye & Knox Lovell & Wim Moesen & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2005. "One Market, One Number? A Composite Indicator Assessment of EU Internal Market Dynamics," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces0513, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Drake, Leigh & Simper, R., 2003. "The measurement of English and Welsh police force efficiency: A comparison of distance function models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 165-186, May.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- Cao, Liqun & Stack, Steven & Sun, Yi, 1998. "Public attitudes toward the police: A comparative study between japan and america," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 279-289, July.
- Bădin, Luiza & Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Léopold, 2012. "How to measure the impact of environmental factors in a nonparametric production model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(3), pages 818-833.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Leopold, 2002. "Nonparametric frontier estimation: a robust approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Verschelde, Marijn & Rogge, Nicky, 2012. "A composite index of citizen satisfaction with local police services," Working Papers 2012/13, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 1995. "Assessing police forces in England and Wales using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 641-657, December.
- Leigh M. Drake & Richard Simper, 2005. "The Measurement Of Police Force Efficiency: An Assessment Of U.K. Home Office Policy," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(4), pages 465-482, October.
- Sun, Shinn, 2002. "Measuring the relative efficiency of police precincts using data envelopment analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 51-71, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:223:y:2012:i:1:p:214-225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.