Islamic financial institutions, corporate governance, and corporate risk disclosure in Gulf Cooperation Council countries
Using content analysis we evaluate the determinants of corporate risk disclosure in a sample of 424 publicly traded firms in the Gulf Cooperation Council countries. We hypothesize that corporate risk disclosure will be lower in Islamic financial institutions when compared to conventional financial institutions and higher in firms that have high quality corporate governance contexts. We also argue that corporate risk disclosure will vary across the Gulf Cooperation Council countries despite sociocultural and regulatory similarities. Results are generally supportive of our hypotheses. Implications for theory and practice are discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 31 (2015)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/mulfin|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mostafa Kamal Hassan, 2009. "UAE corporations-specific characteristics and level of risk disclosure," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(7), pages 668-687, July.
- Holthausen, Robert W., 1990. "Accounting method choice : Opportunistic behavior, efficient contracting, and information perspectives," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-3), pages 207-218, January.
- Klapper, Leora F. & Love, Inessa, 2004.
"Corporate governance, investor protection, and performance in emerging markets,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 703-728, November.
- Klapper, Leora F. & Love, Inessa, 2002. "Corporate governance, investor protection, and performance in emerging markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2818, The World Bank.
- Kaouthar Lajili, 2009. "Corporate Risk Disclosure and Corporate Governance," Journal of Risk and Financial Management, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(1), pages 1-24, December.
- Eng, L. L. & Mak, Y. T., 2003. "Corporate governance and voluntary disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 325-345.
- Lopes, Patricia Teixeira & Rodrigues, Lucia Lima, 2007. "Accounting for financial instruments: An analysis of the determinants of disclosure in the Portuguese stock exchange," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 25-56.
- Patrícia Teixeira Lopes & Lúcia Lima Rodrigues, 2006. "Accounting for Financial Instruments: An Analysis of the Determinants of Disclosure in the Portuguese Stock Exchange," FEP Working Papers 209, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Gul, Ferdinand A. & Leung, Sidney, 2004. "Board leadership, outside directors' expertise and voluntary corporate disclosures," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 351-379.
- Azlan Amran, 2009. "Risk reporting," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(1), pages 39-57, January.
- David Campbell, 2009. "Face work in annual reports: A study of the management of encounter through annual reports, informed by Levinas and Bauman," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 22(6), pages 907-932, July.
- Olson, Dennis & Zoubi, Taisier A., 2008. "Using accounting ratios to distinguish between Islamic and conventional banks in the GCC region," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 45-65, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Jonas Oliveira, 2011. "Voluntary risk reporting to enhance institutional and organizational legitimacy: Evidence from Portuguese banks," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(3), pages 271-289, July.
- Chen, Charles J. P. & Jaggi, Bikki, 2000. "Association between independent non-executive directors, family control and financial disclosures in Hong Kong," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(4-5), pages 285-310.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1383 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ekramy Said Mokhtar & Howard Mellett, 2013. "Competition, corporate governance, ownership structure and risk reporting," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(9), pages 838-865, October.
- Al-Shammari, Bader & Brown, Philip & Tarca, Ann, 2008. "An investigation of compliance with international accounting standards by listed companies in the Gulf Co-Operation Council member states," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 425-447, December.
- Elisabeth Combes-Thuelin & Sandrine Henneron & Philippe Touron, 2006. "Risk Regulations and Financial Disclosure : an Investigation Based on Corporate Communication in French Traded Companies," Post-Print halshs-00150617, HAL.
- R.M. Haniffa & T. E. Cooke, 2002. "Culture, Corporate Governance and Disclosure in Malaysian Corporations," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 38(3), pages 317-349.
- Philip M. Linsley, 2007. "Risk reporting by the largest UK companies: readability and lack of obfuscation," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(4), pages 620-627, July.
- Art Durnev & E. Han Kim, 2005. "To Steal or Not to Steal: Firm Attributes, Legal Environment, and Valuation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1461-1493, 06.
- Durnev, Art & Kim, E. Han, 2004. "To Steal or Not to Steal: Firm Attributes, Legal Environment, and Valuation," CEI Working Paper Series 2004-7, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Nabil Baydoun, 2013. "Corporate governance in five Arabian Gulf countries," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 7-22, January.
- Rania Kamla, 2010. "The global and the local: Arabian Gulf States and imagery in annual reports," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(4), pages 449-481, May.
- Jonas Oliveira, 2011. "Risk-related disclosures by non-finance companies: Portuguese practices and disclosure characteristics," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(9), pages 817-839, October.
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G., 2001. "Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure, and the capital markets: A review of the empirical disclosure literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 405-440, September.
- Elshandidy, Tamer & Fraser, Ian & Hussainey, Khaled, 2013. "Aggregated, voluntary, and mandatory risk disclosure incentives: Evidence from UK FTSE all-share companies," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 320-333. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mulfin:v:31:y:2015:i:c:p:63-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.