Cooperative production and efficiency
We characterize the sharing rule for which a contribution mechanism achieves efficiency in a cooperative production setting when agents are heterogeneous. This rule differs from the one obtained by Sen for the case of identical agents. We also show for a large class of sharing rules that if Nash equilibrium yields efficient allocations, the production function displays constant returns to scale, a case in which cooperation in production is useless.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shigehiro Serizawa, 1997.
"Strategy-proof and individually rational social choice functions for public good economies,"
Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 379-380.
- Shigehiro Serizawa, 1996. "Strategy-proof and individually rational social choice functions for public good economies (*)," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 501-512.
- Serizawa, Shigehiro, 1996. "Strategy-Proof and Individually Rational Social Choice Functions for Public Good Economies," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 501-12, April.
- Shigehiro Serizawa, 1999. "Strategy-Proof and Symmetric Social Choice Functions for Public Good Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 121-146, January.
- Browning, M J, 1983. "Efficient Decentralisation with a Transferable Good," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 375-81, April.
- Fabella, Raul V., 1988. "Natural team sharing and team productivity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 105-110.
- MANIQUET, François & SPRUMONT, Yves, 1998.
"Efficient Strategy-Proof Allocation Functions in Linear Production Economies,"
Cahiers de recherche
9805, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- François Maniquet & Yves Sprumont, 1999. "Efficient strategy-proof allocation functions in linear production economies," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 583-595.
- Moulin, Herve, 1994. "Serial Cost-Sharing of Excludable Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 305-25, April.
- Luis C. Corchón & M. Socorro Puy, 2002. "Existence and Nash implementation of efficient sharing rules for a commonly owned technology," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 369-379, April.
- Ohseto, Shinji, 1997. "Strategy-proof mechanisms in public good economies," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 157-183, April.
- Liqun Liu & Guoqiang Tian, 1999. "A characterization of the existenceof optimal dominant strategy mechanisms," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 205-218.
- Theodore Groves & Martin Loeb, 1974.
"Incentives and Public Inputs,"
29, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Shasikanta Nandeibam, 2003. "Implementation in teams," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 569-581, October.
- Leroux, Jistin, 2004. "Strategy-Proofness and Efficiency Are Incompatible in Production Economies," Working Papers 2004-07, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Rajat Deb & Shinji Ohseto, 1999. "Strategy-proof and individually rational social choice functions for public good economies: A note," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 685-689.
- Leroux, Justin, 2005. "Strategyproof Profit Sharing: A Two-Agent Characterization," Working Papers 2005-04, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Leroux, Justin, 2004. "Strategy-proofness and efficiency are incompatible in production economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 335-340, December.
- Leroux, Justin, 2008.
"Profit sharing in unique Nash equilibrium: Characterization in the two-agent case,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 558-572, March.
- Justin Leroux, 2006. "Profit sharing in unique Nash equilibrium: Characterization in the two-agent case," Cahiers de recherche 06-11, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Roemer John E. & Silvestre Joaquim, 1993. "The Proportional Solution for Economies with Both Private and Public Ownership," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 426-444, April.
- Pfingsten, Andreas, 1991. "Surplus-sharing methods," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 287-301, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:57:y:2009:i:2:p:143-154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.