Strategyproof Profit Sharing: A Two-Agent Characterization
Two agents jointly operate a decreasing marginal returns technology to produce a private good. We characterize the class of output-sharing rules for which the labor-supply game has a unique Nash equilibrium. It consists of two families: rules of the serial type which protect a small user from the negative externality imposed by a large user, and rules of the reverse serial type, where one agent effectively employs the other agent's labor. Exactly two rules satisfy symmetry; a result in sharp contrast with Moulin and Shenker's (Econometrica, 1992) characterization of their serial mechanism as the unique cost -sharing rule satisfying the same incentives property. We also show that the familiar stand alone test characterizes the class of fixed-path methods (Friedman, Economic Theory, 2002) under our incentives criterion.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: MS-22, 6100 South Main, Houston, TX 77005-1892|
Phone: (713) 527-4875
Fax: (713) 285-5278
Web page: http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~econ/papers/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moulin, Herve & Watts, Alison, 1995.
"Two Versions of the Tragedy of the Commons,"
95-04, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Sprumont, Yves, 1998.
"Ordinal Cost Sharing,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 126-162, July.
- Friedman, Eric J., 2002. "Strategic properties of heterogeneous serial cost sharing," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 145-154, November.
- Moulin, Herve, 2001.
"Axiomatic Cost and Surplis-Sharing,"
2001-06, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Eric Friedman, 2004. "Strong monotonicity in surplus sharing," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 643-658, March.
- Luis C. Corchón & M. Socorro Puy, 2002.
"Existence and Nash implementation of efficient sharing rules for a commonly owned technology,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 369-379.
- Luis Corchón & M. Socorro Puy, 2000. "- Existence And Nash Implementation Of Efficient Sharing Rules For A Commonly Owned Technology," Working Papers. Serie AD 2000-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Shin, Sungwhee & Suh, Sang-Chul, 1997. "Double Implementation by a Simple Game Form in the Commons Problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 205-213, November.
- Tejedo, Cyril & Truchon, Michel, 2002.
"Serial cost sharing in multidimensional contexts,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 277-299, December.
- Cyril Téjédo & Michel Truchon, 2001. "Serial Cost Sharing in Multidimensional Contexts," Cahiers de recherche 01-07, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Téjédo, Cyril & Truchon, Michel, 2001. "Serial Cost Sharing in Multidimensional Contexts," Cahiers de recherche 0108, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 1974. "Free access vs private ownership as alternative systems for managing common property," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 225-234, June.
- Jens Leth Hougaard & Lars Thorlund-Petersen, 2000. "The stand-alone test and decreasing serial cost sharing," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 355-362.
- Partha Dasgupta & Peter Hammond & Eric Maskin, 1979. "The Implementation of Social Choice Rules: Some General Results on Incentive Compatibility," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(2), pages 185-216.
- Angeles de Frutos, M., 1998. "Decreasing Serial Cost Sharing under Economies of Scale," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 245-275, April.
- Leroux, Justin, 2004. "Strategy-proofness and efficiency are incompatible in production economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 335-340, December.
- Mark A. Satterthwaite & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1981. "Strategy-Proof Allocation Mechanisms at Differentiable Points," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(4), pages 587-597.
- Leroux, Justin, 2005. "Strategyproof Profit Sharing in Partnerships: Improving upon Autarky," Working Papers 2005-05, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Alcalde, Jose & Angel Silva, Jose, 2004. "A proposal for sharing costs," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 831-845, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:riceco:2005-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.