Strategyproof Profit Sharing: A Two-Agent Characterization
Two agents jointly operate a decreasing marginal returns technology to produce a private good. We characterize the class of output-sharing rules for which the labor-supply game has a unique Nash equilibrium. It consists of two families: rules of the serial type which protect a small user from the negative externality imposed by a large user, and rules of the reverse serial type, where one agent effectively employs the other agent's labor. Exactly two rules satisfy symmetry; a result in sharp contrast with Moulin and Shenker's (Econometrica, 1992) characterization of their serial mechanism as the unique cost -sharing rule satisfying the same incentives property. We also show that the familiar stand alone test characterizes the class of fixed-path methods (Friedman, Economic Theory, 2002) under our incentives criterion.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (713) 527-4875
Fax: (713) 285-5278
Web page: http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~econ/papers/index.htmlEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moulin, Herve, 2002.
"Axiomatic cost and surplus sharing,"
Handbook of Social Choice and Welfare,
in: K. J. Arrow & A. K. Sen & K. Suzumura (ed.), Handbook of Social Choice and Welfare, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 289-357
- Sprumont, Yves, 1998.
"Ordinal Cost Sharing,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 126-162, July.
- Alcalde, Jose & Angel Silva, Jose, 2004. "A proposal for sharing costs," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 831-845, November.
- Satterthwaite, Mark A & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1981. "Strategy-Proof Allocation Mechanisms at Differentiable Points," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 587-97, October.
- Luis C. Corchón & M. Socorro Puy, 2002. "Existence and Nash implementation of efficient sharing rules for a commonly owned technology," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 369-379, April.
- Jens Leth Hougaard & Lars Thorlund-Petersen, 2000. "The stand-alone test and decreasing serial cost sharing," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 355-362.
- Angeles de Frutos, M., 1998. "Decreasing Serial Cost Sharing under Economies of Scale," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 245-275, April.
- Friedman, Eric J., 2002. "Strategic properties of heterogeneous serial cost sharing," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 145-154, November.
- Tejedo, Cyril & Truchon, Michel, 2002.
"Serial cost sharing in multidimensional contexts,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 277-299, December.
- Téjédo, Cyril & Truchon, Michel, 2001. "Serial Cost Sharing in Multidimensional Contexts," Cahiers de recherche 0108, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Cyril Téjédo & Michel Truchon, 2001. "Serial Cost Sharing in Multidimensional Contexts," Cahiers de recherche 01-07, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Leroux, Justin, 2004. "Strategy-proofness and efficiency are incompatible in production economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 335-340, December.
- Hervé Moulin & Alison Watts, 1996.
"Two versions of the tragedy of the commons,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 399-421, December.
- Leroux, Justin, 2005. "Strategyproof Profit Sharing in Partnerships: Improving upon Autarky," Working Papers 2005-05, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Eric Friedman, 2004. "Strong monotonicity in surplus sharing," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 643-658, March.
- Dasgupta, Partha S & Hammond, Peter J & Maskin, Eric S, 1979. "The Implementation of Social Choice Rules: Some General Results on Incentive Compatibility," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 185-216, April.
- Shin, Sungwhee & Suh, Sang-Chul, 1997. "Double Implementation by a Simple Game Form in the Commons Problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 205-213, November.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 1974. "Free access vs private ownership as alternative systems for managing common property," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 225-234, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:riceco:2005-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.