Strategyproof Profit Sharing: A Two-Agent Characterization
Two agents jointly operate a decreasing marginal returns technology to produce a private good. We characterize the class of output-sharing rules for which the labor-supply game has a unique Nash equilibrium. It consists of two families: rules of the serial type which protect a small user from the negative externality imposed by a large user, and rules of the reverse serial type, where one agent effectively employs the other agent's labor. Exactly two rules satisfy symmetry; a result in sharp contrast with Moulin and Shenker's (Econometrica, 1992) characterization of their serial mechanism as the unique cost -sharing rule satisfying the same incentives property. We also show that the familiar stand alone test characterizes the class of fixed-path methods (Friedman, Economic Theory, 2002) under our incentives criterion.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: MS-22, 6100 South Main, Houston, TX 77005-1892|
Phone: (713) 527-4875
Fax: (713) 285-5278
Web page: http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~econ/papers/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tejedo, Cyril & Truchon, Michel, 2002.
"Serial cost sharing in multidimensional contexts,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 277-299, December.
- Téjédo, Cyril & Truchon, Michel, 2001. "Serial Cost Sharing in Multidimensional Contexts," Cahiers de recherche 0108, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Cyril Téjédo & Michel Truchon, 2001. "Serial Cost Sharing in Multidimensional Contexts," Cahiers de recherche 01-07, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Moulin, Herve & Watts, Alison, 1995.
"Two Versions of the Tragedy of the Commons,"
95-04, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Leroux, Justin, 2005. "Strategyproof Profit Sharing in Partnerships: Improving upon Autarky," Working Papers 2005-05, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Sprumont, Y., 1996.
"Ordinal Cost Sharing,"
Cahiers de recherche
9624, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jens Leth Hougaard & Lars Thorlund-Petersen, 2000. "The stand-alone test and decreasing serial cost sharing," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 355-362.
- Eric Friedman, 2004. "Strong monotonicity in surplus sharing," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 643-658, March.
- Leroux, Justin, 2004. "Strategy-proofness and efficiency are incompatible in production economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 335-340, December.
- Mark A. Satterthwaite & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1981. "Strategy-Proof Allocation Mechanisms at Differentiable Points," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(4), pages 587-597.
- Luis C. Corchón & M. Socorro Puy, 2002. "Existence and Nash implementation of efficient sharing rules for a commonly owned technology," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 369-379, April.
- Partha Dasgupta & Peter Hammond & Eric Maskin, 1979. "The Implementation of Social Choice Rules: Some General Results on Incentive Compatibility," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(2), pages 185-216.
- Angeles de Frutos, M., 1998. "Decreasing Serial Cost Sharing under Economies of Scale," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 245-275, April.
- Moulin, Herve, 2001.
"Axiomatic Cost and Surplis-Sharing,"
2001-06, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 1974. "Free access vs private ownership as alternative systems for managing common property," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 225-234, June.
- Alcalde, Jose & Angel Silva, Jose, 2004. "A proposal for sharing costs," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 831-845, November.
- Shin, Sungwhee & Suh, Sang-Chul, 1997. "Double Implementation by a Simple Game Form in the Commons Problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 205-213, November.
- Friedman, Eric J., 2002. "Strategic properties of heterogeneous serial cost sharing," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 145-154, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:riceco:2005-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.