Reject and renegotiate: The Shapley value in multilateral bargaining
This paper investigates three distinctive and intuitive renegotiation bargaining protocols that all yield the Shapley value as the unique subgame perfect equilibrium outcome. These protocols, built on the multi-bidding procedure of Pérez-Castrillo and Wettstein (2001), allow more freedom in multilateral bargaining where rejected players can further negotiate and form coalitions. The self-duality of the Shapley value plays a key role in the second and third results. Moreover, these renegotiation protocols allow an actual play along the equilibrium path to restore the Shapley value in case of a ‘mistake’ made before.
Volume (Year): 48 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sun, Ning & Trockel, Walter & Yang, Zaifu, 2008.
"Competitive outcomes and endogenous coalition formation in an n-person game,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 853-860, July.
- Sun, N. & Trockel, W. & Yang, Z.F., 2004. "Competitive Outcomes and Endogenous Coalition Formation in an n-Person Game," Discussion Paper 2004-93, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- David Pérez-Castrillo & David Wettstein, 2002. "Choosing Wisely: A Multibidding Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1577-1587, December.
- Nash, John, 1953. "Two-Person Cooperative Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 21(1), pages 128-140, April.
- Faruk Gul, 1999. "Efficiency and Immediate Agreement: A Reply to Hart and Levy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(4), pages 913-918, July.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Gul, Faruk, 1989. "Bargaining Foundations of Shapley Value," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 81-95, January.
- Perez-Castrillo, David & Wettstein, David, 2001.
"Bidding for the Surplus : A Non-cooperative Approach to the Shapley Value,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 274-294, October.
- David Pérez-Castrillo & David Wettstein, "undated". "Bidding For The Surplus: A Non-Cooperative Approach To The Shapley Value," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 461.00, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Krishna, V. & Serrano, R., 1993.
"Perfect Equilibria of a Model of N-Person Noncooperative Bargaining,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
10, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Krishna, Vijay & Serrano, Roberto, 1995. "Perfect Equilibria of a Model of N-Person Noncooperative Bargaining," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 24(3), pages 259-272.
- Krishna, V. & serrano, R., 1993. "Perfect Equilibria of a Model of N-Person Noncooperative Bargaining," Papers 10-93-31, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Roberto Serrano, 2004.
"Fifty Years of the Nash Program, 1953-2003,"
2004-20, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Yuan Ju & David Wettstein, 2006.
"Implementing Cooperative Solution Concepts: a Generalized Bidding Approach,"
Keele Economics Research Papers
KERP 2006/06, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
- Yuan Ju & David Wettstein, 2009. "Implementing cooperative solution concepts: a generalized bidding approach," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 39(2), pages 307-330, May.
- Ju, Y. & Wettstein, D., 2006. "Implementing Cooperative Solution Concepts : A Generalized Bidding Approach," Discussion Paper 2006-42, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Matthew O. Jackson, 2001.
"A crash course in implementation theory,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 18(4), pages 655-708.
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 1994.
"Bargaining and value,"
Economics Working Papers
114, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Feb 1995.
- Walter Trockel, 2002. "Integrating the Nash program into mechanism theory," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 7(1), pages 27-43.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:48:y:2012:i:6:p:431-436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.