Match rigging and the career concerns of referees
This paper contributes to the literature on career concerns and corruption by drawing on extensive information on the performance of referees and records from Calciopoli, a judicial inquiry carried out in 2006 on corruption in the Italian football league. Unlike previous studies, we can analyse in detail the assignment of the referees to the most important matches, which is an important step in their career. Moreover, we can relate this choice to the performance of referees in previous matches and the evaluations they received in this context. We find that referees involved in match rigging were promoted to top games and that their evaluation was not negatively affected by their involvement in documented episodes of match rigging.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernesto Dal Bo & Rafael Di Tella, 2003. "Capture by Threat," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(5), pages 1123-1152, October.
- Takeshi Amemiya, 1975. "Qualitative Response Models," NBER Chapters,in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 4, number 3, pages 363-372 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher A. Parsons & Johan Sulaeman & Michael C. Yates & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2007.
"Strike Three: Umpires' Demand for Discrimination,"
NBER Working Papers
13665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parsons, Christopher A. & Sulaeman, Johan & Yates, Michael C. & Hamermesh, Daniel S., 2008. "Strike Three: Umpires' Demand for Discrimination," IZA Discussion Papers 3899, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Edward L. Glaeser & Claudia Goldin, 2006. "Corruption and Reform: Lessons from America's Economic History," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number glae06-1.
- Weiler, William C., 1986. "A sequential logit model of the access effects of higher education institutions," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 49-55, February.
- Boeri, Tito & Severgnini, Battista, 2008. "The Italian Job: Match Rigging, Career Concerns and Media Concentration in Serie A," IZA Discussion Papers 3745, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)