Total factor productivity analysis of a single vertically integrated electricity utility in Malaysia using a Törnqvist index method
The objective of this paper is to measure the total factor productivity (TFP) growth of Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) from 1975 to 2005. Prior to 1995, TNB was essentially the sole electricity provider in Malaysia. However, since 1995 independent power producers (IPPs) have also begun generating electricity, all of which is purchased by TNB under fixed Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs). The introduction of IPPs has reduced the need for TNB to find finance for new power plants. It has been argued that the participation of IPPs in the electricity generation industry should also facilitate improvements in TNB's productivity; however this proposition is yet to be tested. In this study we calculate TFP growth using a Törnqvist index method, finding that there is no direct evidence of productivity improvements attributable to the industry restructuring. Furthermore, it is not clear that consumers have benefited from this, since the PPAs have generally been quite generous to the IPPs in terms of risk sharing and prices paid.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hrv:faseco:33077889 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, January.
- Rodríguez Pardina, Martín A. & Rossi, Martín, 2000. "Technical Change and Catching-up: The Electricity Distribution Sector in South America," UADE Working Papers 11_2000, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- Estache, Antonio & Rossi, Martin A., 2005.
"Do regulation and ownership drive the efficiency of electricity distribution? Evidence from Latin America,"
Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 253-257, February.
- Antonio Estache & Martin Rossi, 2004. "Do Regulation and Ownership Drive the Efficiency of Electricity Distribution? Evidence from Latin America," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43972, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2008. "Lessons Learned from Electricity Market Liberalization," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 9-42.
- Nagayama, Hiroaki, 2009. "Electric power sector reform liberalization models and electric power prices in developing countries: An empirical analysis using international panel data," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 463-472, May.
- Arocena, Pablo & Waddams Price, Catherine, 2002. "Generating efficiency: economic and environmental regulation of public and private electricity generators in Spain," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 41-69, January.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2008. "Efficiency analysis of hydroelectric generating plants: A case study for Portugal," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 59-75, January.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State versus Private Ownership," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 133-150, Fall.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," NBER Working Papers 6665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1841, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Antonio Estache & MartÌn A. Rossi & Christian A. Ruzzier, 2004. "The Case for International Coordination of Electricity Regulation: Evidence from the Measurement of Efficiency in South America," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 271-295, 05.
- Estache, Antonio & Rossi, Martin A. & Ruzzier, Christian A., 2002. "The case for international coordination of electricity regulation : evidence from the measurement of efficiency in South America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2907, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & Martin Rossi & Christian Ruzzier, 2004. "The Case for International Coordination of Electricity Regulation: Evidence from the Measurement of Efficiency in South America," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43975, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jaraitė, Jūratė & Di Maria, Corrado, 2012. "Efficiency, productivity and environmental policy: A case study of power generation in the EU," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1557-1568.
- Jurate Jaraite & Corrado Di Maria, 2010. "Efficiency, Productivity and Environmental Policy: a Case Study of Power Generation in the EU," Economics Working Papers 10-05, Queen's Management School, Queen's University Belfast.
- Jaraite, Jurate & Di Maria, Corrado, 2011. "Efficiency, Productivity and Environmental Policy: A Case Study of Power Generation in the EU," CERE Working Papers 2011:3, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Jurate Jaraite & Corrado Di Maria, 2011. "Efficiency, Productivity and Environmental Policy: A Case Study of Power Generation in the EU," Working Papers 2011.19, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- See, Kok Fong & Coelli, Tim, 2012. "An analysis of factors that influence the technical efficiency of Malaysian thermal power plants," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 677-685.
- Tim Coelli & Antonio Estache & Sergio Perelman & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "A Primer on Efficiency Measurement for Utilities and Transport Regulators," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15149, April.
- Antonio Estache & Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "A Primer on Efficiency Measurement for Utilities and Transport Regulators," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44106, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- See, Kok Fong & Coelli, Tim, 2013. "Estimating and decomposing productivity growth of the electricity generation industry in Malaysia: A stochastic frontier analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 207-214.
- Massimo Filippini & Cornelia Luchsinger, 2007. "Economies of scale in the Swiss hydropower sector," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(15), pages 1109-1113.
- Massimo Filippini & Cornelia Luchsinger, 2005. "Economies of Scale in the Swiss Hydropower Sector," CEPE Working paper series 05-44, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Dong-Soo Koh & Sanford V. Berg & Lawrence W. Kenny, 1996. "A Comparison of Costs in Privately Owned and Publicly Owned Electric Utilities: The Role of Scale," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(1), pages 56-65.
- Scott Atkinson & Claudia Halabí, 2005. "Economic Efficiency and Productivity Growth in the Post-Privatization Chilean Hydroelectric Industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 245-273, 05.
- Pollitt, M.G., 1999. "A survey of the liberalisation of public enterprises in the UK since 1979," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9901, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Zamzam Jaafar, Mohd. & Kheng, Wong Hwee & Kamaruddin, Norhayati, 2003. "Greener energy solutions for a sustainable future: issues and challenges for Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 1061-1072, September.
- Madhu Khanna & Kusum Mundra & Aman Ullah, 1999. "Parametric and semi-parametric estimation of the effect of firm attributes on efficiency: the electricity generating industry in India," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 419-430.
- Woolf, Fiona & Halpern, Jonathan, 2001. "Integrating independent power producers into emerging wholesale power markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2703, The World Bank.
- Weyman-Jones, Thomas G., 1991. "Productive efficiency in a regulated industry : The area electricity boards of England and Wales," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 116-122, April.
- Goto, Mika & Tsutsui, Miki, 2008. "Technical efficiency and impacts of deregulation: An analysis of three functions in U.S. electric power utilities during the period from 1992 through 2000," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 15-38, January.
- L. Dean Hiebert, 2002. "The Determinants of the Cost Efficiency of Electric Generating Plants: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(4), pages 935-946, April.
- Ali Emami Meibodi, 1998. "Efficiency Considerations in the Electricity Supply Industry; The Case of Iran," Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics Discussion Papers (SEEDS) 95, Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Veiderpass, Ann, 1992. " Productivity in Swedish Electricity Retail Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages 193-205, Supplemen.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Pasurka, C., 1986. "Effects on relative efficiency in electric power generation due to environmental controls," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 167-184, June.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A. C., 1998. "Productivity development of Norwegian electricity distribution utilities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 207-224, September.
- Chang, Dong-Shang & Chen, Yi-Tui & Chen, Wen-Den, 2009. "The exogenous factors affecting the cost efficiency of power generation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5540-5545, December.
- Sarıca, Kemal & Or, Ilhan, 2007. "Efficiency assessment of Turkish power plants using data envelopment analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1484-1499.
- Jamasb, T., 2002. "Reform and Regulation of the Electricity Sectors in Developing Countries," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0226, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Andrew N. Kleit & Dek Terrell, 2001. "Measuring Potential Efficiency Gains From Deregulation Of Electricity Generation: A Bayesian Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 523-530, August.
- Yunos, Jamaluddin Mohd & Hawdon, David, 1997. "The efficiency of the National Electricity Board in Malaysia: An intercountry comparison using DEA," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 255-269, May.
- Pun-Lee Lam & Alice Shiu, 2004. "Efficiency and Productivity of China's Thermal Power Generation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 24(1), pages 73-93, 02. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:juipol:v:28:y:2014:i:c:p:62-72. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.