Productivity change and its determinants: Application of the Malmquist index with bootstrapping in Iranian steam power plants
In this paper, the bootstrapping Malmquist index is used to derive the productivity levels of Iranian steam power plants for the period of 2007–2012. The research shows that the average level of productivity has significantly decreased. It was also indicated that technological changes have had more effects on productivity than efficiency changes. To study the influence of various explanatory factors, the truncated regression method was used. The results show that factors such as liberalization of energy carrier prices, the ratio of the number of technicians to the total number of staff, and the age of power plants affect levels of productivity.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fallahi, Alireza & Ebrahimi, Reza & Ghaderi, S.F., 2011. "Measuring efficiency and productivity change in power electric generation management companies by using data envelopment analysis: A case study," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 6398-6405.
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., "undated". "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Roos, P., 1995. "Productivity and quality changes in Swedish pharmacies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 137-144, April.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2008. "Efficiency analysis of hydroelectric generating plants: A case study for Portugal," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 59-75, January.
- Nakano, Makiko & Managi, Shunsuke, 2008. "Regulatory reforms and productivity: An empirical analysis of the Japanese electricity industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 201-209, January.
- See, Kok Fong & Coelli, Tim, 2012. "An analysis of factors that influence the technical efficiency of Malaysian thermal power plants," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 677-685.
- Barros, Carlos P. & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2007. "The determinants of cost efficiency of hydroelectric generating plants: A random frontier approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4463-4470, September.
- Olatubi, Williams O. & Dismukes, David E., 2000. "A data envelopment analysis of the levels and determinants of coal-fired electric power generation performance," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 47-59, June.
- Odeck, James, 2009. "Statistical precision of DEA and Malmquist indices: A bootstrap application to Norwegian grain producers," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1007-1017, October.
- Vaninsky, Alexander, 2006. "Efficiency of electric power generation in the United States: Analysis and forecast based on data envelopment analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 326-338, May.
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2013. "Dynamics of productivity in higher education: cross-european evidence based on bootstrapped Malmquist indices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 67-82, August.
- Aleksandra PARTEKA & Joanna WOLSZCZAK-DERLACZ, 2011. "Dynamics of productivity in higher education. Cross-European evidence based on bootstrapped Malmquist indices," Departmental Working Papers 2011-10, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Liu, C.H. & Lin, Sue J. & Lewis, Charles, 2010. "Evaluation of thermal power plant operational performance in Taiwan by data envelopment analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 1049-1058, February.
- A. Assaf, 2011. "A fresh look at the productivity and efficiency changes of UK airlines," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(17), pages 2165-2175.
- Wang, J.H. & Ngan, H.W. & Engriwan, W. & Lo, K.L., 2007. "Performance based regulation of the electricity supply industry in Hong Kong: An empirical efficiency analysis approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 609-615, January.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2008. "Technical efficiency of thermoelectric power plants," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 3118-3127, November.
- Lam, Pun-Lee & Shiu, Alice, 2001. "A data envelopment analysis of the efficiency of China's thermal power generation," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 75-83, June.
- Abbott, Malcolm, 2006. "The productivity and efficiency of the Australian electricity supply industry," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 444-454, July.
- Jiro Nemoto & Mika Goto, 2003. "Measurement of Dynamic Efficiency in Production: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Japanese Electric Utilities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 191-210, April.
- Park, Soo-Uk & Lesourd, Jean-Baptiste, 2000. "The efficiency of conventional fuel power plants in South Korea: A comparison of parametric and non-parametric approaches," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 59-67, January.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 1999. "Estimating and bootstrapping Malmquist indices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 459-471, June.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1996. "Estimating and bootstrapping malmquist indices," CORE Discussion Papers 1996060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Sarıca, Kemal & Or, Ilhan, 2007. "Efficiency assessment of Turkish power plants using data envelopment analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1484-1499.
- Thakur, Tripta & Deshmukh, S.G. & Kaushik, S.C., 2006. "Efficiency evaluation of the state owned electric utilities in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 2788-2804, November.
- Wilson, Paul W., 2008. "FEAR: A software package for frontier efficiency analysis with R," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 247-254, December.
- Pun-Lee Lam & Alice Shiu, 2004. "Efficiency and Productivity of China's Thermal Power Generation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 24(1), pages 73-93, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:juipol:v:31:y:2014:i:c:p:114-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.