Technology adoption and training practices as a constrained shortest path problem
Technology adoption is not a new venue for research. Much work of decision modeling, diffusion of new technology and statistical analysis of survey data has been done. Some studies focus on finding the optimal forms of technology to adopt within a complementarity framework, but there is no mention of finding an optimal path from a firm's current state to its optimal state. This represents a significant gap in the literature. The paper applies a constrained shortest path problem to training and technology adoption decisions by firms. Given the current set of training and technology adoption the method solves for what technology/practice should be adopted or removed from the complete set of combinations and in what order so as to maximize performance subject to budget constraints. To the authors' knowledge, this is the first application of the constrained shortest path problem to technology adoption decisions.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David H. Autor & Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1998.
"Computing Inequality: Have Computers Changed the Labor Market?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 113(4), pages 1169-1213.
- David H. Autor & Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1997. "Computing Inequality: Have Computers Changed the Labor Market?," NBER Working Papers 5956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lisa M Lynch & Sandra E Black, 2002.
"How to Compete: The Impact of Workplace Practices and Information Technology on Productivity,"
02-04, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2001. "How To Compete: The Impact Of Workplace Practices And Information Technology On Productivity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 434-445, August.
- S. Black & L. Lynch, 1997. "How to compete: the impact of workplace practices and information technology on productivity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20298, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- S Black & L Lynch, 1997. "How to Compete: The Impact of Workplace Practices and Information Technology on Productivity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0376, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 1997. "How to Compete: The Impact of Workplace Practices and Information Technology on Productivity," NBER Working Papers 6120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Blundell & Lorraine Dearden & Costas Meghir & Barbara Sianesi, 1999. "Human capital investment: the returns from education and training to the individual, the firm and the economy," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 20(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Barron, John M & Black, Dan A & Loewenstein, Mark A, 1989. "Job Matching and On-the-Job Training," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2004.
"Strategic technology adoption taking into account future technological improvements : A real options approach,"
Other publications TiSEM
cfab60d6-970e-4dc7-b11c-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Huisman, Kuno J. M. & Kort, Peter M., 2004. "Strategic technology adoption taking into account future technological improvements: A real options approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(3), pages 705-728, December.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2000. "Strategic Technology Adoptation Taking into Account Future Technological Improvements : A Real Options Approach," Discussion Paper 2000-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dimnik, TP & Johnston, DA, 1993. "Manufacturing managers and the adoption of advanced manufacturing technology," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 155-162, March.
- Teo, Thompson S.H. & Lin, Sijie & Lai, Kee-hung, 2009. "Adopters and non-adopters of e-procurement in Singapore: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 972-987, October.
- Hsu, Chin-Lung & Lu, Hsi-Peng & Hsu, Huei-Hsia, 2007. "Adoption of the mobile Internet: An empirical study of multimedia message service (MMS)," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 715-726, December.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "The Economics of Modern Manufacturing: Technology, Strategy, and Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 511-28, June.
- Mark Doms & Timothy Dunne & Kenneth R. Troske, 1997. "Workers, Wages, and Technology," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(1), pages 253-290.
- Eli Berman & John Bound & Zvi Griliches, 1993. "Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U.S. Manufacturing Industries: Evidence from the Annual Survey of Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 4255, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yasin, Mahmoud M. & Small, Michael H. & Wafa, Marwan A., 2003. "Organizational modifications to support JIT implementation in manufacturing and service operations," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 213-226, June.
- Chen, IJ & Small, MH, 1994. "Implementing advanced manufacturing technology: An integrated planning model," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 91-103, January.
- Brian Cozzarin & Jennifer Percival, 2006. "Complementarities between organisational strategies and innovation," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 195-217.
- Choi, Byounggu & Poon, Simon K. & Davis, Joseph G., 2008. "Effects of knowledge management strategy on organizational performance: A complementarity theory-based approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 235-251, April.
- Ramasesh, RV & Jayakumar, MD, 1993. "Economic justification of advanced manufacturing technology," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 289-306, May.
- Amini, Mehdi & Li, Haitao, 2011. "Supply chain configuration for diffusion of new products: An integrated optimization approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 313-322, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:2:p:459-472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.