Forecasting short-term electricity consumption using the adaptive grey-based approach—An Asian case
The overall electricity consumption, treated as a primary guideline for electricity system planning, is a major measurement to indicate the degree of a nation's development. The electricity consumption forecast is especially important with regard to policy making in developing countries (Asian countries in this work). However, since the economic growth rates in these countries are usually high and unstable, it is difficult to obtain accurate predictions using long-term data, and thus forecasting with limited (short-term) data is more effective and of considerable interest. Grey theory is one approach that can be used to construct a model with limited samples to provide better forecasting advantage for short-term problems. The forecasting performance of AGM(1,1), based on grey theory, has been confirmed using the Asia-Pacific economic cooperation energy database, and the results, compared with those obtained from back propagation neural networks (BPN) and support vector regression (SVR), show that the proposed approach can effectively deal with the problem of forecasting electricity consumption when the sample size is limited.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hatami-Marbini, Adel & Tavana, Madjid, 2011.
"An extension of the Electre I method for group decision-making under a fuzzy environment,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 373-386, August.
- HATAMI-MARBINI, Adel & TAVANA, Madjid, . "An extension of the Electre I method for group decision-making under a fuzzy environment," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2278, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Akay, Diyar & Atak, Mehmet, 2007. "Grey prediction with rolling mechanism for electricity demand forecasting of Turkey," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1670-1675.
- Amjady, N. & Keynia, F., 2009. "Short-term load forecasting of power systems by combination of wavelet transform and neuro-evolutionary algorithm," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 46-57.
- Pérez-Gladish, B. & Gonzalez, I. & Bilbao-Terol, A. & Arenas-Parra, M., 2010. "Planning a TV advertising campaign: A crisp multiobjective programming model from fuzzy basic data," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 84-94, February.
- Costa, Alysson M. & França, Paulo M. & Lyra Filho, Christiano, 2011. "Two-level network design with intermediate facilities: An application to electrical distribution systems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Hamzacebi, Coskun, 2007. "Forecasting of Turkey's net electricity energy consumption on sectoral bases," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 2009-2016, March.
- Liu, Zugang & Nagurney, Anna, 2011. "Supply chain outsourcing under exchange rate risk and competition," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 539-549, October.
- Bielza, Concha & Gómez, Manuel & Shenoy, Prakash P., 2011. "A review of representation issues and modeling challenges with influence diagrams," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 227-241, June.
- Ediger, Volkan S. & Akar, Sertac, 2007. "ARIMA forecasting of primary energy demand by fuel in Turkey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1701-1708, March.
- Wang, John & Yan, Ruiliang & Hollister, Kimberly & Zhu, Dan, 2008. "A historic review of management science research in China," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 919-932, December.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Christiansen, Marielle & Magnus Hvattum, Lars & Johnsen, Trond A.V. & Vabø, Thor J., 2010. "A decision support methodology for strategic planning in maritime transportation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 465-474, December.
- Yokuma, J. Thomas & Armstrong, J. Scott, 1995. "Beyond accuracy: Comparison of criteria used to select forecasting methods," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 591-597, December.
- F. Chui & A. Elkamel & R. Surit & E. Croiset & P.L. Douglas, 2009. "Long-term electricity demand forecasting for power system planning using economic, demographic and climatic variables," European Journal of Industrial Engineering, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3), pages 277-304.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:6:p:767-773. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.