A decision support methodology for strategic planning in maritime transportation
This paper presents a decision support methodology for strategic planning in tramp and industrial shipping. The proposed methodology combines simulation and optimization, where a Monte Carlo simulation framework is built around an optimization-based decision support system for short-term routing and scheduling. The simulation proceeds by considering a series of short-term routing and scheduling problems using a rolling horizon principle where information is revealed as time goes by. The approach is flexible in the sense that it can easily be configured to provide decision support for a wide range of strategic planning problems, such as fleet size and mix problems, analysis of long-term contracts and contract terms. The methodology is tested on a real case for a major Norwegian shipping company. The methodology provided valuable decision support on important strategic planning problems for the shipping company.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronen, David, 1983. "Cargo ships routing and scheduling: Survey of models and problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 119-126, February.
- Dan O. Bausch & Gerald G. Brown & David Ronen, 1998. "Scheduling short-term marine transport of bulk products," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 335-348, October.
- Sounderpandian, Jayavel & Prasad, Sameer & Madan, Manu, 2008. "Supplies from developing countries: Optimal order quantities under loss risks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 122-130, February.
- Taylor, AJ, 1982. "Chartering strategies for shipping companies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 25-33.
- Gerald G. Brown & Glenn W. Graves & David Ronen, 1987. "Scheduling Ocean Transportation of Crude Oil," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(3), pages 335-346, March.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Lindstad, Håkon, 2000. "Optimal policies for maintaining a supply service in the Norwegian Sea," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 269-275, June.
- Ronen, David, 1993. "Ship scheduling: The last decade," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 325-333, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:38:y:2010:i:6:p:465-474. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.