A decision support methodology for strategic planning in maritime transportation
This paper presents a decision support methodology for strategic planning in tramp and industrial shipping. The proposed methodology combines simulation and optimization, where a Monte Carlo simulation framework is built around an optimization-based decision support system for short-term routing and scheduling. The simulation proceeds by considering a series of short-term routing and scheduling problems using a rolling horizon principle where information is revealed as time goes by. The approach is flexible in the sense that it can easily be configured to provide decision support for a wide range of strategic planning problems, such as fleet size and mix problems, analysis of long-term contracts and contract terms. The methodology is tested on a real case for a major Norwegian shipping company. The methodology provided valuable decision support on important strategic planning problems for the shipping company.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerald G. Brown & Glenn W. Graves & David Ronen, 1987. "Scheduling Ocean Transportation of Crude Oil," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(3), pages 335-346, March.
- Sounderpandian, Jayavel & Prasad, Sameer & Madan, Manu, 2008. "Supplies from developing countries: Optimal order quantities under loss risks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 122-130, February.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Lindstad, Håkon, 2000. "Optimal policies for maintaining a supply service in the Norwegian Sea," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 269-275, June.
- Taylor, AJ, 1982. "Chartering strategies for shipping companies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 25-33.
- Dan O. Bausch & Gerald G. Brown & David Ronen, 1998. "Scheduling short-term marine transport of bulk products," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 335-348, October.
- Ronen, David, 1993. "Ship scheduling: The last decade," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 325-333, December.
- Ronen, David, 1983. "Cargo ships routing and scheduling: Survey of models and problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 119-126, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:38:y:2010:i:6:p:465-474. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.