Short-term liner ship fleet planning with container transshipment and uncertain container shipment demand
This paper proposes a short-term liner ship fleet planning problem by taking into account container transshipment and uncertain container shipment demand. Given a liner shipping service network comprising a number of ship routes, the problem is to determine the numbers and types of ships required in the fleet and assign each of these ships to a particular ship route to maximize the expected value of the total profit over a short-term planning horizon. These decisions have to be made prior to knowing the exact container shipment demand, which is affected by some unpredictable and uncontrollable factors. This paper thus formulates this realistic short-term planning problem as a two-stage stochastic integer programming model. A solution algorithm, integrating the sample average approximation with a dual decomposition and Lagrangian relaxation approach, is then proposed. Finally, a numerical example is used to evaluate the performance of the proposed model and solution algorithm.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kjetil Fagerholt *, 2004. "Designing optimal routes in a liner shipping problem," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 259-268, October.
- B. J. Powell & A .N. Perkins, 1997. "Fleet deployment optimization for liner shipping: an integer programming model," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 183-192, January.
- Santoso, Tjendera & Ahmed, Shabbir & Goetschalckx, Marc & Shapiro, Alexander, 2005. "A stochastic programming approach for supply chain network design under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 96-115, November.
- Karlaftis, Matthew G. & Kepaptsoglou, Konstantinos & Sambracos, Evangelos, 2009. "Containership routing with time deadlines and simultaneous deliveries and pick-ups," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 210-221, January.
- Bert Vernimmen & Wout Dullaert & Steve Engelen, 2007. "Schedule Unreliability in Liner Shipping: Origins and Consequences for the Hinterland Supply Chain," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(3), pages 193-213, September.
- Sambracos, E. & Paravantis, J. A. & Tarantilis, C. D. & Kiranoudis, C. T., 2004. "Dispatching of small containers via coastal freight liners: The case of the Aegean Sea," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 365-381, January.
- Song, Dong-Ping & Earl, Christopher F., 2008. "Optimal empty vehicle repositioning and fleet-sizing for two-depot service systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(2), pages 760-777, March.
- Ronen, David, 1993. "Ship scheduling: The last decade," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 325-333, December.
- Gelareh, Shahin & Meng, Qiang, 2010. "A novel modeling approach for the fleet deployment problem within a short-term planning horizon," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 76-89, January.
- Shintani, Koichi & Imai, Akio & Nishimura, Etsuko & Papadimitriou, Stratos, 2007. "The container shipping network design problem with empty container repositioning," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 39-59, January.
- Schütz, Peter & Tomasgard, Asgeir & Ahmed, Shabbir, 2009. "Supply chain design under uncertainty using sample average approximation and dual decomposition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(2), pages 409-419, December.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Lindstad, Håkon, 2000. "Optimal policies for maintaining a supply service in the Norwegian Sea," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 269-275, June.
- Meng, Qiang & Wang, Tingsong, 2011. "A scenario-based dynamic programming model for multi-period liner ship fleet planning," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 401-413, July.
- Qiang Meng & Tingsong Wang, 2010. "A chance constrained programming model for short-term liner ship fleet planning problems," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 329-346, July.
- Gregory A. Godfrey & Warren B. Powell, 2001. "An Adaptive, Distribution-Free Algorithm for the Newsvendor Problem with Censored Demands, with Applications to Inventory and Distribution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(8), pages 1101-1112, August.
- Meng, Qiang & Wang, Shuaian, 2011. "Optimal operating strategy for a long-haul liner service route," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(1), pages 105-114, November.
- Qi, Xiangtong & Song, Dong-Ping, 2012. "Minimizing fuel emissions by optimizing vessel schedules in liner shipping with uncertain port times," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 863-880.
- Gelareh, Shahin & Nickel, Stefan & Pisinger, David, 2010. "Liner shipping hub network design in a competitive environment," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 991-1004, November.
- Jos� Fernando �lvarez, 2009. "Joint Routing and Deployment of a Fleet of Container Vessels," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(2), pages 186-208, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:223:y:2012:i:1:p:96-105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.