A survey of scheduling problems with late work criteria
The paper presents the first complete survey of scheduling problems with the late work criteria. Late work objective functions estimate the quality of a schedule based on durations of late parts of jobs, not taking into account the amount of delay for fully late jobs. The paper provides a formal definition of the late work parameter and compares the criteria based on it with other classical performance measures. It shows the relationship between the late work model and the imprecise computation model known from the hard real-time literature. Moreover, the paper presents a few real world applications of the late work objective function. The paper lists results obtained for nearly forty problems of scheduling jobs on a single machine, parallel (identical and uniform) machines and dedicated machines, investigated in the literature since 1984.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Janiak, Adam & Rudek, RadosLaw, 2010. "A note on a makespan minimization problem with a multi-ability learning effect," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 213-217, June.
- Taillard, E., 1993. "Benchmarks for basic scheduling problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 278-285, January.
- Lee, Wen-Chiung & Wu, Chin-Chia & Hsu, Peng-Hsiang, 2010. "A single-machine learning effect scheduling problem with release times," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 3-11, February.
- Robert McNaughton, 1959. "Scheduling with Deadlines and Loss Functions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 1-12, October.
- Yang, Suh-Jenq & Yang, Dar-Li, 2010. "Minimizing the makespan on single-machine scheduling with aging effect and variable maintenance activities," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 528-533, December.
- Almiñana, M. & Escudero, L.F. & Landete, M. & Monge, J.F. & Rabasa, A. & Sánchez-Soriano, J., 2010. "WISCHE: A DSS for water irrigation scheduling," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 492-500, December.
- Rad, Shahriar Farahmand & Ruiz, Rubén & Boroojerdian, Naser, 2009. "New high performing heuristics for minimizing makespan in permutation flowshops," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 331-345, April.
- Lenstra, J. K. & Rinnooy Kan, A. H. G., 1980. "Complexity results for scheduling chains on a single machine," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 270-275, April.
- Gribkovskaia, Irina V. & Kovalev, Sergey & Werner, Frank, 2010. "Batching for work and rework processes on dedicated facilities to minimize the makespan," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 522-527, December.
- Jianfeng Ren & Yuzhong Zhang & Guo Sun, 2009. "The Np-Hardness Of Minimizing The Total Late Work On An Unbounded Batch Machine," Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research (APJOR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 26(03), pages 351-363.
- Ronconi, Débora P. & Henriques, Luís R.S., 2009. "Some heuristic algorithms for total tardiness minimization in a flowshop with blocking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 272-281, April.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Christiansen, Marielle & Magnus Hvattum, Lars & Johnsen, Trond A.V. & Vabø, Thor J., 2010. "A decision support methodology for strategic planning in maritime transportation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 465-474, December.
- Carlier, J. & Pinson, E., 1994. "Adjustment of heads and tails for the job-shop problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 146-161, October.
- Sun Lee, Ik & Yoon, S.H., 2010. "Coordinated scheduling of production and delivery stages with stage-dependent inventory holding costs," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 509-521, December.
- Blazewicz, Jacek & Pesch, Erwin & Sterna, Malgorzata & Werner, Frank, 2005. "The two-machine flow-shop problem with weighted late work criterion and common due date," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(2), pages 408-415, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:2:p:120-129. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.