A single-machine learning effect scheduling problem with release times
In this paper, we investigate a single-machine problem with the learning effect and release times where the objective is to minimize the makespan. A branch-and-bound algorithm incorporating with several dominance properties and lower bounds is developed to derive the optimal solution. A heuristic algorithm is proposed to obtain a near-optimal solution. The computational experiments show that the branch-and-bound algorithm can solve instances up to 36 jobs, and the average error percentage of the proposed heuristic is less than 0.11%.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Ji-Bo, 2007. "Single-machine scheduling problems with the effects of learning and deterioration," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 397-402, August.
- Wu, Chin-Chia & Lee, Wen-Chiung, 2009. "A note on the total completion time problem in a permutation flowshop with a learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 343-347, January.
- Biskup, Dirk, 1999. "Single-machine scheduling with learning considerations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 173-178, May.
- Biskup, Dirk, 2008. "A state-of-the-art review on scheduling with learning effects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(2), pages 315-329, July.
- Nawaz, Muhammad & Enscore Jr, E Emory & Ham, Inyong, 1983. "A heuristic algorithm for the m-machine, n-job flow-shop sequencing problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 91-95.
- Lee, Wen-Chiung & Wu, Chin-Chia, 2004. "Minimizing total completion time in a two-machine flowshop with a learning effect," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 85-93, March.
- Wang, F. -K. & Lee, W., 2001. "Learning curve analysis in total productive maintenance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 491-499, December.
- Koulamas, Christos & Kyparisis, George J., 2007. "Single-machine and two-machine flowshop scheduling with general learning functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 402-407, April.
- Mosheiov, Gur, 2001. "Scheduling problems with a learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(3), pages 687-693, August.
- Reddy Dondeti, V. & Mohanty, Bidhu B., 1998. "Impact of learning and fatigue factors on single machine scheduling with penalties for tardy jobs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 509-524, March.
- T.C. Cheng & Guoqing Wang, 2000. "Single Machine Scheduling with Learning Effect Considerations," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 273-290, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:38:y:2010:i:1-2:p:3-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.