A single-machine learning effect scheduling problem with release times
In this paper, we investigate a single-machine problem with the learning effect and release times where the objective is to minimize the makespan. A branch-and-bound algorithm incorporating with several dominance properties and lower bounds is developed to derive the optimal solution. A heuristic algorithm is proposed to obtain a near-optimal solution. The computational experiments show that the branch-and-bound algorithm can solve instances up to 36 jobs, and the average error percentage of the proposed heuristic is less than 0.11%.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, Chin-Chia & Lee, Wen-Chiung, 2009. "A note on the total completion time problem in a permutation flowshop with a learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 343-347, January.
- Nawaz, Muhammad & Enscore Jr, E Emory & Ham, Inyong, 1983. "A heuristic algorithm for the m-machine, n-job flow-shop sequencing problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 91-95.
- Reddy Dondeti, V. & Mohanty, Bidhu B., 1998. "Impact of learning and fatigue factors on single machine scheduling with penalties for tardy jobs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 509-524, March.
- Biskup, Dirk, 1999. "Single-machine scheduling with learning considerations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 173-178, May.
- Lee, Wen-Chiung & Wu, Chin-Chia, 2004. "Minimizing total completion time in a two-machine flowshop with a learning effect," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 85-93, March.
- Biskup, Dirk, 2008. "A state-of-the-art review on scheduling with learning effects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(2), pages 315-329, July.
- Koulamas, Christos & Kyparisis, George J., 2007. "Single-machine and two-machine flowshop scheduling with general learning functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 402-407, April.
- Wang, F. -K. & Lee, W., 2001. "Learning curve analysis in total productive maintenance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 491-499, December.
- Wang, Ji-Bo, 2007. "Single-machine scheduling problems with the effects of learning and deterioration," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 397-402, August.
- Mosheiov, Gur, 2001. "Scheduling problems with a learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(3), pages 687-693, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:38:y:2010:i:1-2:p:3-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.