A note on the total completion time problem in a permutation flowshop with a learning effect
The concept of learning process plays a key role in production environments. However, it is relatively unexplored in the flowshop setting. In this short note, we consider a permutation flowshop scheduling problem with a learning effect where the objective is to minimize the sum of completion times or flowtime. A dominance rule and several lower bounds are established to speed up the search for the optimal solution. In addition, the performances of several well-known heuristics are evaluated when the learning effect is present.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mosheiov, Gur & Sidney, Jeffrey B., 2003. "Scheduling with general job-dependent learning curves," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(3), pages 665-670, June.
- Biskup, Dirk, 1999. "Single-machine scheduling with learning considerations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 173-178, May.
- Mosheiov, Gur, 2001. "Scheduling problems with a learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(3), pages 687-693, August.
- Framinan, J. M. & Leisten, R., 2003. "An efficient constructive heuristic for flowtime minimisation in permutation flow shops," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 311-317, August.
- Chung, Chia-Shin & Flynn, James & Kirca, Omer, 2002. "A branch and bound algorithm to minimize the total flow time for m-machine permutation flowshop problems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 185-196, October.
- Nawaz, Muhammad & Enscore Jr, E Emory & Ham, Inyong, 1983. "A heuristic algorithm for the m-machine, n-job flow-shop sequencing problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 91-95.
- Rajendran, Chandrasekharan & Ziegler, Hans, 1997. "An efficient heuristic for scheduling in a flowshop to minimize total weighted flowtime of jobs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 129-138, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:1:p:343-347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.