Single-machine scheduling with general sum-of-processing-time-based and position-based learning effects
In this paper, we propose a new learning effect model in which the actual job processing time is a general function of the normal processing time of jobs already processed and its scheduled position. This model has the advantage that different learning curves can be constructed easily, such as the plateau function. It is found that most of the models in the literature are special cases of our proposed model. The optimal sequences for some single-machine problems are then provided.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sterna, Malgorzata, 2011. "A survey of scheduling problems with late work criteria," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 120-129, April.
- Kuo, Wen-Hung & Yang, Dar-Li, 2006. "Minimizing the total completion time in a single-machine scheduling problem with a time-dependent learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1184-1190, October.
- Chen, Wen-Jinn, 2009. "Minimizing number of tardy jobs on a single machine subject to periodic maintenance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 591-599, June.
- Michael A. Lapré & Amit Shankar Mukherjee & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2000. "Behind the Learning Curve: Linking Learning Activities to Waste Reduction," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 597-611, May.
- Hsu, Chin-Chun & Pereira, Arun, 2008. "Internationalization and performance: The moderating effects of organizational learning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 188-205, April.
- Biskup, Dirk, 1999. "Single-machine scheduling with learning considerations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 173-178, May.
- Koulamas, Christos & Kyparisis, George J., 2007. "Single-machine and two-machine flowshop scheduling with general learning functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 402-407, April.
- Ribas, Imma & Companys, Ramon & Tort-Martorell, Xavier, 2011. "An iterated greedy algorithm for the flowshop scheduling problem with blocking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 293-301, June.
- Mosheiov, Gur, 2001. "Scheduling problems with a learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(3), pages 687-693, August.
- Biskup, Dirk, 2008. "A state-of-the-art review on scheduling with learning effects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(2), pages 315-329, July.
- Day, Jamison M. & Daniel Wright, P. & Schoenherr, Tobias & Venkataramanan, Munirpallam & Gaudette, Kevin, 2009. "Improving routing and scheduling decisions at a distributor of industrial gasses," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 227-237, February.
- Reddy Dondeti, V. & Mohanty, Bidhu B., 1998. "Impact of learning and fatigue factors on single machine scheduling with penalties for tardy jobs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 509-524, March.
- Lee, Wen-Chiung & Wu, Chin-Chia & Hsu, Peng-Hsiang, 2010. "A single-machine learning effect scheduling problem with release times," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 3-11, February.
- Vallada, Eva & Ruiz, Rubén, 2010. "Genetic algorithms with path relinking for the minimum tardiness permutation flowshop problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 57-67, February.
- Wang, Ji-Bo, 2007. "Single-machine scheduling problems with the effects of learning and deterioration," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 397-402, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:5:p:467-471. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.