An iterated greedy algorithm for the flowshop scheduling problem with blocking
This paper proposes an iterated greedy algorithm for solving the blocking flowshop scheduling problem for makespan minimization. Moreover, it presents an improved NEH-based heuristic, which is used as the initial solution procedure for the iterated greedy algorithm. The effectiveness of both procedures was tested on some of Taillard's benchmark instances that are considered to be blocking flowshop instances. The experimental evaluation showed the efficiency of the proposed algorithm, in spite of its simple structure, in comparison with a state-of-the-art algorithm. In addition, new best solutions for Taillard's instances are reported for this problem, which can be used as a basis of comparison in future studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nawaz, Muhammad & Enscore Jr, E Emory & Ham, Inyong, 1983. "A heuristic algorithm for the m-machine, n-job flow-shop sequencing problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 91-95.
- Caraffa, Vince & Ianes, Stefano & P. Bagchi, Tapan & Sriskandarajah, Chelliah, 2001. "Minimizing makespan in a blocking flowshop using genetic algorithms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 101-115, March.
- Ronconi, Debora P., 2004. "A note on constructive heuristics for the flowshop problem with blocking," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 39-48, January.
- Taillard, E., 1993. "Benchmarks for basic scheduling problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 278-285, January.
- Grabowski, Jøzef & Pempera, Jaroslaw, 2007. "The permutation flow shop problem with blocking. A tabu search approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 302-311, June.
- Martinez, S. & Dauzere-Peres, S. & Gueret, C. & Mati, Y. & Sauer, N., 2006. "Complexity of flowshop scheduling problems with a new blocking constraint," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(3), pages 855-864, March.
- Grabowski, Jozef & Pempera, Jaroslaw, 2000. "Sequencing of jobs in some production system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 535-550, September.
- Ruiz, Ruben & Stutzle, Thomas, 2007. "A simple and effective iterated greedy algorithm for the permutation flowshop scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 2033-2049, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:3:p:293-301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.