An iterated greedy algorithm for the flowshop scheduling problem with blocking
This paper proposes an iterated greedy algorithm for solving the blocking flowshop scheduling problem for makespan minimization. Moreover, it presents an improved NEH-based heuristic, which is used as the initial solution procedure for the iterated greedy algorithm. The effectiveness of both procedures was tested on some of Taillard's benchmark instances that are considered to be blocking flowshop instances. The experimental evaluation showed the efficiency of the proposed algorithm, in spite of its simple structure, in comparison with a state-of-the-art algorithm. In addition, new best solutions for Taillard's instances are reported for this problem, which can be used as a basis of comparison in future studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martinez, S. & Dauzere-Peres, S. & Gueret, C. & Mati, Y. & Sauer, N., 2006. "Complexity of flowshop scheduling problems with a new blocking constraint," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(3), pages 855-864, March.
- Taillard, E., 1993. "Benchmarks for basic scheduling problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 278-285, January.
- Ruiz, Ruben & Stutzle, Thomas, 2007. "A simple and effective iterated greedy algorithm for the permutation flowshop scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 2033-2049, March.
- Grabowski, Jozef & Pempera, Jaroslaw, 2000. "Sequencing of jobs in some production system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 535-550, September.
- Nawaz, Muhammad & Enscore Jr, E Emory & Ham, Inyong, 1983. "A heuristic algorithm for the m-machine, n-job flow-shop sequencing problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 91-95.
- Ronconi, Debora P., 2004. "A note on constructive heuristics for the flowshop problem with blocking," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 39-48, January.
- Grabowski, Jøzef & Pempera, Jaroslaw, 2007. "The permutation flow shop problem with blocking. A tabu search approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 302-311, June.
- Caraffa, Vince & Ianes, Stefano & P. Bagchi, Tapan & Sriskandarajah, Chelliah, 2001. "Minimizing makespan in a blocking flowshop using genetic algorithms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 101-115, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:3:p:293-301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.