Supply chain outsourcing under exchange rate risk and competition
This paper studies the impacts of foreign exchange risk and competition intensity on supply chain companies who are involved in offshore-outsourcing activities. In particular, we develop a variational inequality model that considers firms' decision-making regarding pricing, offshore outsourcing, transportation, and in-house production under competition and foreign exchange uncertainty. We also use a series of simulation examples to answer questions regarding outsourcing and pricing strategies of supply chain firms with different risk attitudes, and explore numerically their associated profits and incurred risks.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nagurney, Anna & Cruz, Jose & Dong, June & Zhang, Ding, 2005. "Supply chain networks, electronic commerce, and supply side and demand side risk," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 120-142, July.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Chow, Pui-Sze, 2008. "Mean-variance analysis of Quick Response Program," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 456-475, August.
- Graves, Samuel B. & Ringuest, Jeffrey L., 2009. "Probabilistic dominance criteria for comparing uncertain alternatives: A tutorial," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 346-357, April.
- Zhang, Ding, 2006. "A network economic model for supply chain versus supply chain competition," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 283-295, June.
- Chongcheul Cheong, 2004. "Does the risk of exchange rate fluctuation really affect international trade flows between countries?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(4), pages 1-8.
- Hasuike, Takashi & Ishii, Hiroaki, 2009. "On flexible product-mix decision problems under randomness and fuzziness," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 770-787, August.
- Hodder, James E. & Jucker, James V., 1985. "A simple plant-location model for quantity-setting firms subject to price uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 39-41, July.
- Nagurney, Anna & Ke, Ke, 2006. "Financial networks with intermediation: Risk management with variable weights," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 172(1), pages 40-63, July.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Li, Duan & Yan, Houmin & Chiu, Chun-Hung, 2008. "Channel coordination in supply chains with agents having mean-variance objectives," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 565-576, August.
- Hodder, James E. & Jucker, James V., 1985. "International plant location under price and exchange rate uncertainty," Engineering Costs and Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-3), pages 225-229, April.
- Franke, Gunter, 1991. "Exchange rate volatility and international trading strategy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 292-307, June.
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Hunter, Delroy M., 2008. "Can hedging tell the full story? Reconciling differences in United States aggregate- and industry-level exchange rate risk premium," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 169-196, November.
- Nagurney, Anna & Matsypura, Dmytro, 2005. "Global supply chain network dynamics with multicriteria decision-making under risk and uncertainty," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 585-612, November.
- Wu, Jun & Li, Jian & Wang, Shouyang & Cheng, T.C.E., 2009. "Mean-variance analysis of the newsvendor model with stockout cost," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 724-730, June.
- Coudert, Virginie & Couharde, Cécile & Mignon, Valérie, 2011.
"Exchange rate volatility across financial crises,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 3010-3018, November.
- Cruz, Jose M., 2008. "Dynamics of supply chain networks with corporate social responsibility through integrated environmental decision-making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(3), pages 1005-1031, February.
- Goh, Mark & Lim, Joseph Y.S. & Meng, Fanwen, 2007. "A stochastic model for risk management in global supply chain networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 164-173, October.
- Chahar, Kiran & Taaffe, Kevin, 2009. "Risk averse demand selection with all-or-nothing orders," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 996-1006, October.
- Lode Li & Hongtao Zhang, 2008. "Confidentiality and Information Sharing in Supply Chain Coordination," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(8), pages 1467-1481, August.
- Burak Kazaz & Maqbool Dada & Herbert Moskowitz, 2005. "Global Production Planning Under Exchange-Rate Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(7), pages 1101-1119, July.
- Morrison, C J, 1994. "The Cyclical Nature of Markups in Canadian Manufacturing: A Production Theory Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(3), pages 269-282, July-Sept.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde & Valérie Mignon, 2010.
"Exchange Rate Flexibility across Financial Crises,"
CEPN Working Papers
- Koray, Faik & Lastrapes, William D, 1989. "Real Exchange Rate Volatility and U.S. Bilateral Trade: A VAR Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 708-712, November.
- Sriram Dasu & Lode Li, 1997. "Optimal Operating Policies in the Presence of Exchange Rate Variability," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(5), pages 705-722, May.
- Nagurney, Anna & Liu, Zugang & Cojocaru, Monica-Gabriela & Daniele, Patrizia, 2007. "Dynamic electric power supply chains and transportation networks: An evolutionary variational inequality formulation," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 624-646, September.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Li, Duan & Yan, Houmin, 2008. "Mean-variance analysis of a single supplier and retailer supply chain under a returns policy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(1), pages 356-376, January.
- Lau, Hon-Shiang & Lau, Amy Hing-Ling, 1999. "Manufacturer's pricing strategy and return policy for a single-period commodity," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 291-304, July.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00845254 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sawik, Tadeusz, 2011. "Selection of supply portfolio under disruption risks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 194-208, April.
- Brian Tomlin, 2006. "On the Value of Mitigation and Contingency Strategies for Managing Supply Chain Disruption Risks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(5), pages 639-657, May.
- Sang-Hyun Kim & Morris A. Cohen & Serguei Netessine, 2007. "Performance Contracting in After-Sales Service Supply Chains," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(12), pages 1843-1858, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:5:p:539-549. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.