Estimating the price elasticity of beer: Meta-analysis of data with heterogeneity, dependence, and publication bias
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Roger M. Harbord & Julian P.T. Higgins, 2008. "Meta-regression in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(4), pages 493-519, December.
- Card, David & Krueger, Alan B, 1995. "Time-Series Minimum-Wage Studies: A Meta-analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 238-243, May.
- Kenneth Clements & Wana Yang & Simon Zheng, 1997. "Is utility additive? The case of alcohol," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1163-1167.
- Ruhm, Christopher J. & Jones, Alison Snow & McGeary, Kerry Anne & Kerr, William C. & Terza, Joseph V. & Greenfield, Thomas K. & Pandian, Ravi S., 2012.
"What U.S. data should be used to measure the price elasticity of demand for alcohol?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 851-862.
- Christopher J. Ruhm & Alison Snow Jones & William C. Kerr & Thomas K. Greenfield & Joseph V. Terza & Ravi S. Pandian & Kerry Anne McGeary, 2011. "What U.S. Data Should be Used to Measure the Price Elasticity of Demand for Alcohol?," NBER Working Papers 17578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Craig A. Gallet, 2007.
"The demand for alcohol: a meta-analysis of elasticities,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), pages 121-135, June.
- Gallet, Craig A., 2007. "The demand for alcohol: a meta-analysis of elasticities," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
- Phelps, Charles E., 1988. "Death and taxes : An opportunity for substitution," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Jon Nelson & Peter Kennedy, 2009. "The Use (and Abuse) of Meta-Analysis in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics: An Assessment," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(3), pages 345-377, March.
- Cook, Philip J. & Moore, Michael J., 1994. "This Tax's for You: The Case for Higher Beer Taxes," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(3), pages 559-73, September.
- Stanley, T. D. & Jarrell, Stephen B. & Doucouliagos, Hristos, 2010.
"Could It Be Better to Discard 90% of the Data? A Statistical Paradox,"
The American Statistician,
American Statistical Association, vol. 64(1), pages 70-77.
- Stanley, T. D. & Jarrell, Stephen B. & Doucouliagos, Hristos, 2009. "Could it be better to discard 90% of the data? A statistical paradox," Working Papers eco_2009_13, Deakin University, Department of Economics.
- Cawley, John & Ruhm, Christopher J., 2011.
"The Economics of Risky Health Behaviors,"
Handbook of Health Economics,
- John Cawley & Christopher Ruhm, 2011. "The Economics of Risky Health Behaviors," NBER Working Papers 17081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cawley, John & Ruhm, Christopher J., 2011. "The Economics of Risky Health Behaviors," IZA Discussion Papers 5728, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sijbren Cnossen, 2007. "Alcohol taxation and regulation in the European Union," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 14(6), pages 699-732, December.
- T. D. Stanley, 2005. "Beyond Publication Bias," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 309-345, July.
- Manning, Willard G. & Blumberg, Linda & Moulton, Lawrence H., 1995. "The demand for alcohol: The differential response to price," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 123-148, June.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters,in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Pogue, Thomas F & Sgontz, Larry G, 1989. "Taxing to Control Social Costs: The Case of Alcohol," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 235-243, March.
- Padmaja Ayyagari & Partha Deb & Jason Fletcher & William Gallo & Jody L. Sindelar, 2013. "Understanding Heterogeneity In Price Elasticities In The Demand For Alcohol For Older Individuals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 89-105, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Karel Janda & Zuzana Lajksnerova & Jakub Mikolasek, 2018. "A General Equilibrium Model of Optimal Alcohol Taxation in the Czech Republic," Working Papers IES 2018/08, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Mar 2018.
- Jarle Møen & Helge Sandvig Thorsen, 2017. "Publication Bias in the Returns to R&D Literature," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer;Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), vol. 8(3), pages 987-1013, September.
- repec:eme:jepppp:jepp-02-2016-0004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reed, W. Robert, 2015.
"A Monte Carlo analysis of alternative meta-analysis estimators in the presence of publication bias,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 9, pages 1-40.
- W. Robert Reed & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Jacques Poot, 2014. "A Monte Carlo Analysis of Alternative Meta-Analysis Estimators in the Presence of Publication Bias," Working Papers in Economics 14/22, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Reed, W. Robert & Florax, Raymond J. G. M. & Poot, Jacques, 2015. "A Monte Carlo analysis of alternative meta-analysis estimators in the presence of publication bias," Economics Discussion Papers 2015-9, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- repec:wly:econjl:v::y:2017:i:605:p:f236-f265 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jon P. Nelson & Amy D. McNall, 2017. "What happens to drinking when alcohol policy changes? A review of five natural experiments for alcohol taxes, prices, and availability," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 18(4), pages 417-434, May.
More about this item
KeywordsAlcohol; Prices; Taxes; Elasticity; Meta-analysis;
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Behavior
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C59 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Other
ListsThis item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhecon:v:33:y:2014:i:c:p:180-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.