Borrowing constraints and complex dynamics in an OLG framework
In this paper we model an OLG economy à la Kiyotaki and Moore whose novel feature is the role of money as a store of value and of bequest as a source of funds to be "invested" in landholding. The dynamics generated by the model are generally characterized by irregular cyclical trajectories and, under special configuration of the parameters, a strange attractor appears. In this setting, an expansionary monetary policy may have a stabilizing role due to the interaction between money holding and the accumulation of borrowers' net worth.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Pintus & Ducan Sands & Robin De Vilder, 1998.
"On the Transition from Local Regular to Global Irregular Fluctuations,"
98-54, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Pintus, Patrick & Sands, Duncan & de Vilder, Robin, 2000. "On the transition from local regular to global irregular fluctuations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 247-272, February.
- P. Pintus & D. Sands & R. de Vilder, 1998. "On the transition from local regular to global irregular fluctuations," THEMA Working Papers 98-18, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Pintus, P. & Sands, D. & de Vilder, R., 1998. "On the Transition from Local Regular to Global Iregular Fluctuations," Papers 9818, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Pintus, Patrick & Sands, Ducan & De Vilder, Robin, 1996. "On the transition from local regular to global irregular fluctuations," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9617, CEPREMAP.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine & Michael Woodford, 1992.
"The Optimum Quantity of Money Revisited,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2035, David K. Levine.
- Norman Loayza & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Luis Servén, 2000.
"What Drives Private Saving Across the World?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 165-181, May.
- Loayza, N. & Schmidt, K. & Serven, L., 1999. "What Drives Private Saving Across the World?," Papers 47, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Norman Loayza & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Luis Servén, 1999. "What Drives Private Saving Across the World?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 47, Central Bank of Chile.
- Bullard, James & Keating, John W., 1995. "The long-run relationship between inflation and output in postwar economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 477-496, December.
- Juan Carlos Cordoba & Marla Ripoll, 2004.
"Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(6), pages 1172-1205, December.
- Cordoba, Juan Carlos & Ripoll, Marla, 2010. "Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy," Staff General Research Papers Archive 32123, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cordoba, Juan & Ripoll, Marla, 2002. "Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy," Working Papers 2002-02, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Juan Carlos Cordoba & Marla Ripoll, 2003. "Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy," Macroeconomics 0309003, EconWPA.
- Loayza, Norman & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Serven, Luis, 2000. "What drives private saving around the world?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2309, The World Bank.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & Yves Younes, 1973.
"On the Efficiency of a Monetary Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 40(2), pages 149-165.
- Kenneth Kasa, 1998.
"Borrowing constraints and asset market dynamics: evidence from the Pacific Basin,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 17-28.
- Kenneth Kasa, 1998. "Borrowing constraints and asset market dynamics: evidence from the Pacific Basin," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 98-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984.
"Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons,"
NBER Working Papers
1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weiss, Laurence M, 1980. "The Effects of Money Supply on Economic Welfare in the Steady State," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 565-576, April.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997.
"Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Woodford, Michael, 1986. "Stationary sunspot equilibria in a finance constrained economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 128-137, October.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, "undated".
1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- de Vilder, Robin, 1996. "Complicated Endogenous Business Cycles under Gross Substitutability," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 416-442, November.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Abdelhak S Senhadji & Bruce D. Smith, 2001.
"Inflation and Financial Depth,"
IMF Working Papers
01/44, International Monetary Fund.
- Bruce D. Smith & John H. Boyd, 1998. "Capital market imperfections in a monetary growth model," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(2), pages 241-273.
- Weil, Philippe, 1991. "Is Money Net Wealth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(1), pages 37-53, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jeborg:v:72:y:2009:i:2:p:656-669. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.