Collaterals and Macroeconomic Volatility
In this paper, we study the effects of collaterals on business cycles and growth in monetary economies with credit market imperfections. We consider an endogenous growth model with a partial cash-in-advance constraint and inelastic labor supply. We assume that the share of consumption purchases paid with credit depends positively on the collateral available to the agent. In this framework, we find that money is no longer superneutral in the long run and short-run fluctuations, either deterministic or stochastic, can arise. On the one side, the monetary policy can enhance the growth rate and welfare, on the other side, reduce the macroeconomic volatility. Second, the sensitivity to collaterals alters the effectiveness of monetary policy in terms of welfare and stability. Finally, indeterminacy becomes more likely as long as the credit market is less sensitive to collaterals.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, bld Francois Mitterand, 91025 Evry Cedex|
Phone: +33 1 69 47 71 77
Fax: +33 1 69 47 70 50
Web page: http://epee.univ-evry.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 2003.
"Money Growth Rules and Price Level Determinacy,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(2), pages 263-275, April.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1995.
"Transaction services, inflation, and welfare,"
551, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Braum, T. & Eckstein, Z., 1995. "Transaction Services, Inflation and Welfare," Papers 27-95, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1998. "Transaction services, inflation, and welfare," Staff Report 241, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Calvin Schnure, 2005. "Boom-Bust Cycles in Housing; The Changing Role of Financial Structure," IMF Working Papers 05/200, International Monetary Fund.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-437.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997.
"Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bosi, Stefano & Seegmuller, Thomas, 2010.
"On rational exuberance,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 249-270, March.
- Stefano Bosi & Thomas Seegmuller, 2009. "On rational exuberance," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 09004, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Stefano Bosi & Thomas Seegmuller, 2009. "On Rational Exuberance," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00367689, HAL.
- Cordoba, Juan Carlos & Ripoll, Marla, 2010.
"Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
32123, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Stefano Bosi & Frederic Dufourt, 2008.
"Indeterminacy with constant money growth rules and income-based liquidity constraints,"
- Bosi, Stefano & Dufourt, Frédéric, 2008. "Indeterminacy with constant money growth rules and income-based liquidity constraints," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 57-63, June.
- Stefano Bosi & Frédéric Dufourt, 2005. "Indeterminacy with Constant Money Growth Rules and Income-Based Liquidity Constraints," Documents de recherche 05-22, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Bosi, Stefano & Magris, Francesco, 2003. "Indeterminacy and endogenous fluctuations with arbitrarily small liquidity constraint," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 39-51, March.
- Stefano BOSI & Frédéric DUFOURT & Francesco MAGRIS, 2007.
"Animal spirits in cash-in-advance economies,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2007021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Cooley, Thomas F & Hansen, Gary D, 1989.
"The Inflation Tax in a Real Business Cycle Model,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 733-48, September.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1987. "The Inflation Tax in a Real Business Cycle Model," UCLA Economics Working Papers 496, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," Papers 88-05, Rochester, Business - General.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," RCER Working Papers 155, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1985.
"Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
1618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & Yves Younes, 1972. "On the Role of Money and the Existence of a Monetary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 355-372.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Moore, John, 1997.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 211-48, April.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995. "Credit Cycles," NBER Working Papers 5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, . "Credit Cycles," Discussion Papers 1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Ryo Kato, 2003. "Matlab code for Kiyotaki-Moore credit cycles," QM&RBC Codes 113, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Hromcova, Jana, 2003. "Money and growth in a cash-in-advance economy with costly credit," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1113-1136, December.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Zvi Eckstein, 1995. "Interpreting monetary stabilization in a growth model with credit goods production," Working Papers 525, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1985. "Money and Asset Prices in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 919-44, October.
- Ireland, Peter N, 1994. "Money and Growth: An Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 47-65, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eve:wpaper:08-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.