Collaterals and macroeconomic volatility
In this paper, we study the effects of collaterals on business cycles and growth in monetary economies with credit market imperfections. We consider an endogenous growth model with a partial cash-in-advance constraint. It is assumed that the share of consumption purchases paid on credit depends positively on the collaterals available to the agent. In this case, money is no longer superneutral. We find that, under mild inflation rates, a higher money growth rate is welfare-improving and, surprisingly, it makes the occurrence of expectations-driven fluctuations less likely. The shape of credit share in consumption purchases, as outcome of regulatory policies, has anÂ impact on both welfare and stability. In particular, the higher the sensitivity of the credit share to collaterals, the more stable the economy under rational expectations. These analytical findings are complemented by economic interpretations.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooley, Thomas F & Hansen, Gary D, 1989.
"The Inflation Tax in a Real Business Cycle Model,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 733-48, September.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1987. "The Inflation Tax in a Real Business Cycle Model," UCLA Economics Working Papers 496, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," Papers 88-05, Rochester, Business - General.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," RCER Working Papers 155, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1984.
"Money and Interest in Cash-In-Advance Economy,"
628, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Stefano Bosi & Thomas Seegmuller, 2009.
"On rational exuberance,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
09004, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Stefano Bosi & Thomas Seegmuller, 2009. "On Rational Exuberance," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00367689, HAL.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998.
"Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997. "Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles," CORE Discussion Papers 1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Stefano BOSI & Frédéric DUFOURT & Francesco MAGRIS, 2007.
"Animal spirits in cash-in-advance economies,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2007021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1985. "Money and Asset Prices in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 919-44, October.
- Cordoba, Juan & Ripoll, Marla, 2002.
"Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy,"
2002-02, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Zvi Eckstein, 1995. "Interpreting monetary stabilization in a growth model with credit goods production," Working Papers 525, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1998.
"Transaction services, inflation, and welfare,"
241, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1995. "Transaction services, inflation, and welfare," Working Papers 551, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Braum, T. & Eckstein, Z., 1995. "Transaction Services, Inflation and Welfare," Papers 27-95, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, .
1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 2003.
"Money Growth Rules and Price Level Determinacy,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(2), pages 263-275, April.
- Bosi, Stefano & Magris, Francesco, 2003. "Indeterminacy and endogenous fluctuations with arbitrarily small liquidity constraint," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 39-51, March.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- Stefano Bosi & Frédéric Dufourt, 2005.
"Indeterminacy with Constant Money Growth Rules and Income-Based Liquidity Constraints,"
Documents de recherche
05-22, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Bosi, Stefano & Dufourt, Frédéric, 2008. "Indeterminacy with constant money growth rules and income-based liquidity constraints," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 57-63, June.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Ireland, Peter N, 1994. "Money and Growth: An Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 47-65, March.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Younes, Yves, 1972. "On the Role of Money and the Existence of a Monetary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 355-72, July.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- Hromcova, Jana, 2003. "Money and growth in a cash-in-advance economy with costly credit," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1113-1136, December.
- Calvin Schnure, 2005. "Boom-Bust Cycles in Housing; The Changing Role of Financial Structure," IMF Working Papers 05/200, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reecon:v:64:y:2010:i:3:p:146-161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.