Operationalizing and measuring individual entrepreneurial orientation using cognitive mapping and MCDA techniques
Despite the widely acknowledged importance of entrepreneurial orientation in the establishment of successful ventures, identifying entrepreneurship attitudinal orientation, and finding its determinants in particular, is a complex undertaking due to the variety of intuition- or subjectivity-based factors underlying individual entrepreneurial orientation (IEO). Grounded on the integrated use of cognitive maps and the measuring attractiveness by a categorical-based evaluation technique (MACBETH), this paper aims to develop a multiple criteria decision analysis (MCDA) framework to assist the measurement of IEO. This evaluation mechanism makes it possible to classify individuals according to their entrepreneurial profiles, allowing managers and investors to make more informed decisions regarding business partnerships or funding allocations. Specific guidelines on how to construct such a mechanism, implications for scholars and practitioners, as well as the strengths and shortcomings of our measurement system, are also discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 68 (2015)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Howick, Susan & Ackermann, Fran, 2011. "Mixing OR methods in practice: Past, present and future directions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(3), pages 503-511, December.
- Eden, Colin, 2004. "Analyzing cognitive maps to help structure issues or problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(3), pages 673-686, December.
- Fernando A. F Ferreira & Ronald W. Spahr & SÃ©rgio P. Santos & Paulo M. M. Rodrigues, 2012.
"A multiple criteria framework to evaluate bank branch potential attractiveness,"
International Journal of Strategic Property Management,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 254-276, February.
- Fernando A. F. Ferreira & Ronald W. Spahr & Sérgio P. Santos & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2010. "A Multiple Criteria Framework to Evaluate Bank Branch Potential Attractiveness," Working Papers w201010, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Avlonitis, George J. & Salavou, Helen E., 2007. "Entrepreneurial orientation of SMEs, product innovativeness, and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 566-575, May.
- Eden, Colin & Ackermann, Fran, 2004. "Cognitive mapping expert views for policy analysis in the public sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(3), pages 615-630, February.
- Ajzen, Icek, 1991. "The theory of planned behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-211, December.
- Ackermann, Fran, 2012. "Problem structuring methods ‘in the Dock’: Arguing the case for Soft OR," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(3), pages 652-658.
- Danny Miller, 1983. "The Correlates of Entrepreneurship in Three Types of Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(7), pages 770-791, July.
- Bana e Costa, Carlos A. & Chagas, Manuel P., 2004. "A career choice problem: An example of how to use MACBETH to build a quantitative value model based on qualitative value judgments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 323-331, March.
- Ackermann, Fran & Andersen, David F. & Eden, Colin & Richardson, George P., 2011. "ScriptsMap: A tool for designing multi-method policy-making workshops," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 427-434, August.
- Cardon, Melissa S. & Gregoire, Denis A. & Stevens, Christopher E. & Patel, Pankaj C., 2013. "Measuring entrepreneurial passion: Conceptual foundations and scale validation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 373-396.
- De Clercq, Dirk & Dimov, Dimo & Thongpapanl, Narongsak (Tek), 2010. "The moderating impact of internal social exchange processes on the entrepreneurial orientation-performance relationship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 87-103, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)