Experience-focused thinking and cognitive mapping in ethical banking practices: From practical intuition to theory
Concern over ethical management and ethical principles in banking practices is rapidly increasing. The alignment of such concerns with daily operations, however, is often far from simple. This study proposes the use of cognitive mapping to enhance our understanding of the key factors underlying ethical banking and the manner in which they inter-relate with each other. Cognitive mapping provides a process for the integration and representation of a group of experts' experience-focused thinking, and as such allows for the development of a well-informed methodological framework. By depicting the cause-and-effect linkages among determinants of ethical banking, and analyzing them in a holistic way, such a map not only serves as a support for the integration of values, ethics and banking, but can help create theory, based on experts' practice in this field.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 69 (2016)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S Bell & S Morse, 2013. "Groups and facilitators within problem structuring processes," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 64(7), pages 959-972, July.
- Fernando A. F. Ferreira & Marjan S. Jalali, 2015. "Identifying key determinants of housing sales and time-on-the-market (TOM) using fuzzy cognitive mapping," International Journal of Strategic Property Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 235-244, September.
- R J Ormerod, 2013. "Logic and rationality in OR interventions: an examination in the light of the ‘critical rationalist’ approach," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 64(4), pages 469-487, April.
- Ferreira, Fernando A.F. & Marques, Carla S.E. & Bento, Paulo & Ferreira, João J.M. & Jalali, Marjan S., 2015. "Operationalizing and measuring individual entrepreneurial orientation using cognitive mapping and MCDA techniques," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 68(12), pages 2691-2702.
- Fernando A. F. Ferreira & SÃ©rgio P. Santos & Paulo M. M. Rodrigues & Ronald W. Spahr, 2014. "Evaluating retail banking service quality and convenience with MCDA techniques: a case study at the bank branch level," Journal of Business Economics and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Ferreira, Fernando A.F. & Jalali, Marjan S. & Ferreira, João J.M., 2016. "Integrating qualitative comparative analysis (QCA) and fuzzy cognitive maps (FCM) to enhance the selection of independent variables," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 1471-1478.
- Durif, Fabien & Geay, Bénédicte & Graf, Raoul, 2013. "Do key account managers focus too much on commercial performance? A cognitive mapping application," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(9), pages 1559-1567.
- Elisabeth Paulet & Miia Parnaudeau & Francesc Relano, 2015.
"Banking with Ethics: Strategic Moves and Structural Changes of the Banking Industry in the Aftermath of the Subprime Mortgage Crisis,"
Journal of Business Ethics,
Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 199-207, September.
- Elisabeth Paulet & Miia Parnaudeau & Francesc Relano, 2015. "Banking with Ethics: Strategic Moves and Structural Changes of the Banking Industry in the Aftermath of the Subprime Mortgage Crisis," Post-Print hal-01370236, HAL.
- Marlene N M Filipe & Fernando A F Ferreira & Sérgio P Santos, 2015. "A multiple criteria information system for pedagogical evaluation and professional development of teachers," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 66(11), pages 1769-1782, November.
- Keeney, Ralph L., 1996. "Value-focused thinking: Identifying decision opportunities and creating alternatives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 92(3), pages 537-549, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:69:y:2016:i:11:p:4953-4958. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.