Endorser age and stereotypes: Consequences on brand age
This paper links findings from research on different age types to branding literature, and adds insight into how to rejuvenate a brand through the use of endorsers in advertisements. The article addresses the yet under-represented value of demographic characteristics of endorsers in affecting brand perception, and introduces the importance of the existence and strength of individual mental images of typical brand users in the process of such association transfers. Based on theoretical perspectives from personality transfer, (social) categorization, imagery, and advertising literature, the study proposes and tests several conditions for which age association transfer from endorser to brand takes place. Results show that using endorsers can be an effective way to influence consumers' brand age perceptions and to rejuvenate a brand. In doing so, it is important to pay attention to the existence and strength of mental images of typical brand users.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holbrook, Morris B, 1993. " Nostalgia and Consumption Preferences: Some Emerging Patterns of Consumer Tastes," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(2), pages 245-56, September.
- Belk, Russell W & Bahn, Kenneth D & Mayer, Robert N, 1982. " Developmental Recognition of Consumption Symbolism," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 4-17, June.
- Merrilees, Bill, 2005. "Radical Brand Evolution: A Case-Based Framework," Journal of Advertising Research, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(02), pages 201-210, June.
- Kevin Lane Keller & Donald R. Lehmann, 2006. "Brands and Branding: Research Findings and Future Priorities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(6), pages 740-759, 11-12.
- McCracken, Grant, 1989. " Who Is the Celebrity Endorser? Cultural Foundations of the Endorsement Process," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 310-21, December.
- Samiee, Saeed & Jeong, Insik & Pae, Jae Hyeon & Tai, Susan, 2003. "Advertising standardization in multinational corporations: The subsidiary perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(8), pages 613-626, August.
- Merrilees, Bill & Miller, Dale, 2010. "Brand morphing across Wal-Mart customer segments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(11), pages 1129-1134, November.
- McQuarrie, Edward F & Mick, David Glen, 1999. " Visual Rhetoric in Advertising: Text-Interpretive, Experimental, and Reader-Response Analyses," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(1), pages 37-54, June.
- Landon, E Lard, Jr, 1974. " Self Concept, Ideal Self Concept, and Consumer Purchase Intentions," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(2), pages 44-51, Se.
- Rogers, Patrick R. & Bamford, Charles E., 2002. "Information planning process and strategic orientation: the importance of fit in high-performing organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 205-215, March.
- Macinnis, Deborah J & Park, C Whan, 1991. " The Differential Role of Characteristics of Music on High- and Low-Involvement Consumers' Processing of Ads," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 161-73, September.
- Ewing, Michael T. & Jevons, Colin P. & Khalil, Elias L., 2009. "Brand death: A developmental model of senescence," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 332-338, March.
- Ravi Parameswaran & Attila Yaprak, 1987. "A Cross-National Comparison of Consumer Research Measures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(1), pages 35-49, March.
- MacInnis, Deborah J & Price, Linda L, 1987. " The Role of Imagery in Information Processing: Review and Extensions," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 473-91, March.
- Michel Laroche & V H Kirpalani & Frank Pons & Lianxi Zhou, 2001. "A Model of Advertising Standardization in Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(2), pages 249-266, June.
- Chien, P. Monica & Cornwell, T. Bettina & Pappu, Ravi, 2011. "Sponsorship portfolio as a brand-image creation strategy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 142-149, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:66:y:2013:i:2:p:207-215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.