Print Advertising In The Us And Hong Kong: A Comparative Analysis
Given the static condition of the global economy marketers are cutting advertising budgets commensurate with dismal sales. It is a longstanding belief that utilizing a standardized advertising approach not only controls good ideas and provides for a consistent image but it also has the benefit of controlling expenses through economies of scale. With this in mind, the purpose of the study was to determine the degree of standardization or lack thereof in advertising strategies in the cosmetics and fragrances advertising industries in the United States and Hong Kong. The findings of this study suggest that there is a high level of standardization in the advertising for perfumes because Hong Kong belonged to the British for a long time and individuals’ needs and desires for love and acceptance are the same irrespective of geography. On the other hand only a moderate form of standardization was noted in the advertising for cosmetics. This may be attributed to the fact that different beauty concepts are held among different regions. Implications of the findings are also noted.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitatea Al. I. Cuza; B-dul Carol I nr. 22; Iasi|
Phone: 004 0232 201070
Fax: 004 0232 217000
Web page: http://rebs.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samiee, Saeed & Jeong, Insik & Pae, Jae Hyeon & Tai, Susan, 2003. "Advertising standardization in multinational corporations: The subsidiary perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(8), pages 613-626, August.
- Tim Callen & Warwick J. McKibbin & Nicoletta Batini, 2006. "The Global Impact of Demographic Change," IMF Working Papers 06/9, International Monetary Fund.
- Boddewyn, J. J. & Soehl, Robin & Picard, Jacques, 1986. "Standardization in international marketing: Is Ted Levitt in fact right?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 69-75.
- Hite, Robert E. & Fraser, Cynthia, 1990. "Configuration and coordination of global advertising," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 335-344, December.
- Michel Laroche & V H Kirpalani & Frank Pons & Lianxi Zhou, 2001. "A Model of Advertising Standardization in Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(2), pages 249-266, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aic:revebs:y:2009:i:4:seitzv. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sireteanu Napoleon-Alexandru)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.