Human and financial capital as determinants of biopharmaceutical IPO de-listings
The present study combines human capital theory with work on IPOs related to sources of financial capital of recent, publicly traded biopharmaceutical firms and relates this to the de-listing of these firms. The study follows the generally accepted view that more or better quality human capital is a positive factor in individual and firm performance to develop the hypotheses, positing a negative relationship between these factors and IPO de-listing. The results show that to a limited extent firms having CEOs with more or better human capital and strategic alliance partners are associated with biopharmaceutical IPOs’ de-listing. The study further finds that de-listing in this industry is due primarily to acquisitions (and not financial distress) and that the findings differ based upon whether examining financial distress or acquisition de-listings. The study draws upon the IPO motivation literature to help explain the results.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zucker, Lynne G. & Darby, Michael R., 1997. "Present at the biotechnological revolution: transformation of technological identity for a large incumbent pharmaceutical firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 429-446, December.
- Sean Nicholson & Patricia M. Danzon & Jeffrey S. McCullough, 2002.
"Biotech-Pharmaceutical Alliances as a Signal of Asset and Firm Quality,"
NBER Working Papers
9007, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sean Nicholson, 2005. "Biotech-Pharmaceutical Alliances as a Signal of Asset and Firm Quality," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(4), pages 1433-1464, July.
- Joseph A. DiMasi & Henry G. Grabowski, 2007. "The cost of biopharmaceutical R&D: is biotech different?," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4-5), pages 469-479.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- George P. Baker & Robert E. Kennedy, 2002. "Survivorship and the Economic Grim Reaper," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 324-361, October.
- Jain, Bharat A., 2001. "Predictors of performance of venture capitalist-backed organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 223-233, June.
- Erikson, Truls, 2002. "Entrepreneurial capital: the emerging venture's most important asset and competitive advantage," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 275-290, May.
- Bharat A. Jain & Omesh Kini, 1999. "The Life Cycle of Initial Public Offering Firms," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(9-10), pages 1281-1307.
- Chen, Chung-Jen, 2009. "Technology commercialization, incubator and venture capital, and new venture performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 93-103, January.
- Wincent, Joakim & Anokhin, Sergey & Örtqvist, Daniel, 2010. "Does network board capital matter? A study of innovative performance in strategic SME networks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 265-275, March.
- Kollmann, Tobias & Kuckertz, Andreas, 2010. "Evaluation uncertainty of venture capitalists' investment criteria," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(7), pages 741-747, July.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 2004. "New lists: Fundamentals and survival rates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 229-269, August.
- Xu, Bixia, 2009. "R&D innovation and the value of cash in the biotech industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(7), pages 750-755, July.
- Kim, Woojin & Weisbach, Michael S., 2008.
"Motivations for public equity offers: An international perspective,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 281-307, February.
- Woojin Kim & Michael S. Weisbach, 2005. "Motivations for Public Equity Offers: An International Perspective," NBER Working Papers 11797, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pagano, Marco & Panetta, Fabio & Zingales, Luigi, 1996.
"Why Do Companies Go Public? An Empirical Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1332, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Pagano & Fabio Panetta & Luigi Zingales, . "Why Do Companies Go Public? An Empirical Analysis," CRSP working papers 330, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Marco Pagano & Fabio Panetta & Luigi Zingales, 1995. "Why Do Companies Go Public? An Empirical Analysis," NBER Working Papers 5367, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stavros Peristiani, 2003. "Evaluating the riskiness of initial public offerings: 1980-2000," Staff Reports 167, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Dimov, Dimo P. & Shepherd, Dean A., 2005. "Human capital theory and venture capital firms: exploring "home runs" and "strike outs"," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Baum, Joel A. C. & Silverman, Brian S., 2004. "Picking winners or building them? Alliance, intellectual, and human capital as selection criteria in venture financing and performance of biotechnology startups," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 411-436, May.
- Mak, Y. T. & Roush, M. L., 2000. "Factors Affecting the Characteristics of Boards of Directors: An Empirical Study of New Zealand Initial Public Offering Firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 147-159, February.
- Luigi Zingales, 1995. "Insider Ownership and the Decision to Go Public," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(3), pages 425-448.
- Zucker, Lynne G & Darby, Michael R & Brewer, Marilynn B, 1998. "Intellectual Human Capital and the Birth of U.S. Biotechnology Enterprises," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 290-306, March.
- Sanger, Gary C. & Peterson, James D., 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of Common Stock Delistings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 261-272, June.
- Cooper, Arnold C. & Gimeno-Gascon, F. Javier & Woo, Carolyn Y., 1994. "Initial human and financial capital as predictors of new venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 371-395, September.
- Miller, Danny, 1977. "Common syndromes of business failure," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 43-53, December.
- Stavros Peristiani & Gijoon Hong, 2004. "Pre-IPO financial performance and aftermarket survival," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 10(Feb).
- Patricia M. Danzon & Andrew Epstein & Sean Nicholson, 2007.
"Mergers and acquisitions in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4-5), pages 307-328.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Andrew Epstein & Sean Nicholson, 2004. "Mergers and Acquisitions in the Pharmaceutical and Biotech Industries," NBER Working Papers 10536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lerner, Josh & Merges, Robert P, 1998. "The Control of Technology Alliances: An Empirical Analysis of the Biotechnology Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 125-56, June.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 9.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:66:y:2013:i:12:p:2612-2618. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.