The optimal structure of PD buckets
In designing credit rating systems under the new Basel Accord, considerable effort has been devoted to rating assignment and quantification, while the choice of the optimal bucket structure has received less attention. To fill this gap, we propose two "bucketing" strategies based on constrained optimisation, paying attention to the implications of rating buckets for loan-pricing and adverse selection phenomena. We compare them with some more naïve approaches, based on a sample of about 100,000 European companies. We also analyse the persistence of our performance measures over time, as well as the effect of large exposures being associated with low-PD obligors.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dirk Tasche, 2003. "A traffic lights approach to PD validation," Papers cond-mat/0305038, arXiv.org.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Carey, Mark & Hrycay, Mark, 2001. "Parameterizing credit risk models with rating data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 197-270, January.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Paterlini, Sandra & Krink, Thiemo, 2006. "Differential evolution and particle swarm optimisation in partitional clustering," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1220-1247, March.
- William F. Treacy & Mark S. Carey, 1998. "Credit risk rating at large U.S. banks," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Nov, pages 897-921.
- A. Foglia & S. Iannotti & P. Marullo Reedtz, 2001. "The Definition of the Grading Scales in Banks’ Internal Rating Systems," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 30(3), pages 421-456, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:32:y:2008:i:10:p:2275-2286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.