Threshold Accepting for Credit Risk Assessment and Validation
According to the latest Basel framework of Banking Supervision, financial institutions should internally assign their borrowers into a number of homogeneous groups. Each group is assigned a probability of default which distinguishes it from other groups. This study aims at determining the optimal number and size of groups that allow for statistical ex post validation of the efficiency of the credit risk assignment system. Our credit risk assignment approach is based on Threshold Accepting, a local search optimization technique, which has recently performed reliably in credit risk clustering especially when considering several realistic constraints. Using a relatively large real-world retail credit portfolio, we propose a new technique to validate ex post the precision of the grading system.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krink, Thiemo & Paterlini, Sandra & Resti, Andrea, 2007. "Using differential evolution to improve the accuracy of bank rating systems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 68-87, September.
- Marianna Lyra & Johannes Paha & Sandra Paterlini & Peter Winker, 2009.
"Optimization Heuristics for Determining Internal Rating Grading Scales,"
Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance)
09031, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Lyra, M. & Paha, J. & Paterlini, S. & Winker, P., 2010. "Optimization heuristics for determining internal rating grading scales," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2693-2706, November.
- Marianna Lyra & Johannes Paha & Sandra Paterlini & Peter Winker, 2008. "Optimization Heuristics for Determining Internal Rating Grading Scales," Working Papers 005, COMISEF.
- Marianna Lyra & Johannes Paha & Sandra Paterlini & Peter Winker, 2008. "Optimization Heuristics for Determining Internal Rating Grading Scales," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 023, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Krink, Thiemo & Paterlini, Sandra & Resti, Andrea, 2008. "The optimal structure of PD buckets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2275-2286, October.
- Varetto, Franco, 1998. "Genetic algorithms applications in the analysis of insolvency risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1421-1439, October.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Dietsch, Michel & Petey, Joel, 2004. "Should SME exposures be treated as retail or corporate exposures? A comparative analysis of default probabilities and asset correlations in French and German SMEs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 773-788, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:com:wpaper:039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anil Khuman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.