Support for the SME supporting factor: Multi-country empirical evidence on systematic risk factor for SME loans
Using a unique and comprehensive data set on the two largest economies of the Eurozone - France and Germany - this paper first proceeds to a computation of the Gordy formula relaxing the ad hoc sizedependent constraints of the Basel formulas. Our study contributes to Article 501 of the Capital Requirements Regulation (CRR) requesting analysis of the consistency of own funds requirements with the riskiness of SME. In both the French and the German sample, results suggest that the relative differences between the capital requirements for large corporates and those for SME (in other words the capital relief for SME) are lower in the Basel III framework than implied by empirically estimated asset correlations. Results show that the SME Supporting Factor in the CRR/CRD IV is able to compensate the difference between estimated and CRR/CRD IV capital requirements for loans in the corporate portfolio. However, no empirical evidence is found supporting the € 1.5 mln SME threshold currently included in Article 501 (CRR).
|Date of creation:||2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postfach 10 06 02, 60006 Frankfurt|
Phone: 0 69 / 95 66 - 0
Fax: 0 69 / 95 66 30 77
Web page: http://www.bundesbank.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michel Dietsch, 2004. "Should SME exposures be treated as retail or corporate exposures: a comparative analysis of probabilities of default and assets correlations in French and German SMEs," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14164, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995.
"Bank regulation and the credit crunch,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 679-692, June.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1993. "Bank regulation and the credit crunch," Working Papers 93-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Lopez, Jose A., 2004. "The empirical relationship between average asset correlation, firm probability of default, and asset size," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 265-283, April.
- Jose A. Lopez, 2002. "The empirical relationship between average asset correlation, firm probability of default and asset size," Working Paper Series 2002-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Daniel R÷Sch & Harald Scheule, 2010. "Downturn Credit Portfolio Risk, Regulatory Capital and Prudential Incentives-super-," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 10(Financial), pages 185-207.
- Jose Lopez, 2009. "Empirical analysis of the average asset correlation for real estate investment trusts," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 217-229.
- Jose A. Lopez, 2005. "Empirical analysis of the average asset correlation for real estate investment trusts," Working Paper Series 2005-22, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Klaus Duellmann & Jonathan Küll & Michael Kunisch, 2010. "Estimating asset correlations from stock prices or default rates - which method is superior?," Post-Print hal-00736734, HAL.
- McNeil, Alexander J. & Wendin, Jonathan P., 2007. "Bayesian inference for generalized linear mixed models of portfolio credit risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 131-149, March.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-470, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Gordy, Michael B., 2003. "A risk-factor model foundation for ratings-based bank capital rules," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 199-232, July.
- Michael B. Gordy, 2002. "A risk-factor model foundation for ratings-based bank capital rules," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-55, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dietsch, Michel & Petey, Joel, 2004. "Should SME exposures be treated as retail or corporate exposures? A comparative analysis of default probabilities and asset correlations in French and German SMEs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 773-788, April.
- Lee, Shih-Cheng & Lin, Chien-Ting, 2012. "Book-to-market equity, operating risk, and asset correlations: Implications for Basel capital requirement," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 973-989.
- Lee, Shih-Cheng & Lin, Chien-Ting & Yang, Chih-Kai, 2011. "The asymmetric behavior and procyclical impact of asset correlations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2559-2568, October.
- Lutz Hahnenstein, 2004. "Calibrating the CreditMetrics™ correlation concept — Empirical evidence from Germany," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer;Swiss Society for Financial Market Research, vol. 18(4), pages 358-381, December.
- Gordy, Michael B., 2000. "A comparative anatomy of credit risk models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 119-149, January.
- Michael B. Gordy, 1998. "A comparative anatomy of credit risk models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-47, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brun , Matthieu & Fraisse , Henri & Thesmar , David, 2013. "The Real Effects of Bank Capital Requirements," Les Cahiers de Recherche 988, HEC Paris.
- M. Brun & H. Fraisse & D. Thesmar, 2013. "The Real Effects of Bank Capital Requirements," Débats économiques et financiers 8, Banque de France.
- Nikola A. Tarashev & Haibin Zhu, 2007. "Modelling and calibration errors in measures of portfolio credit risk," BIS Working Papers 230, Bank for International Settlements.
- Duellmann, Klaus & Küll, Jonathan & Kunisch, Michael, 2010. "Estimating asset correlations from stock prices or default rates--Which method is superior?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2341-2357, November.
- Yang, Bill Huajian, 2013. "Estimating Long-Run PD, Asset Correlation, and Portfolio Level PD by Vasicek Models," MPRA Paper 57244, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shih-Cheng Lee & Chien-Ting Lin & Min-Teh Yu, 2013. "Book-to-Market Equity, Asset Correlations and the Basel Capital Requirement," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(7-8), pages 991-1008, 09.
- Düllmann, Klaus & Koziol, Philipp, 2013. "Evaluation of minimum capital requirements for bank loans to SMEs," Discussion Papers 22/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hamerle, Alfred & Liebig, Thilo & Rösch, Daniel, 2003. "Credit Risk Factor Modeling and the Basel II IRB Approach," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2003,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Giampaolo Gabbi & Pietro Vozzella, 2013. "Asset correlations and bank capital adequacy," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 55-74, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bubdps:452016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.