Bank shareholding and lending: Complementarity or substitution? Some evidence from a panel of large Italian firms
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Emilio Barucci & Fabrizio Mattesini, 2008. "Bank shareholding and lending: complementarity or substitution? Some evidence from a panel of large Italian firms!," CEIS Research Paper 118, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 14 Jul 2008.
References listed on IDEAS
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2005.
"Unnatural Selection: Perverse Incentives and the Misallocation of Credit in Japan,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(4), pages 1144-1166, September.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2003. "Unnatural Selection: Perverse Incentives and the Misallocation of Credit in Japan," NBER Working Papers 9643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cobham, David & Cosci, Stefania & Mattesini, Fabrizio, 1999. "The Italian Financial System: Neither Bank Based nor Market Based," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 67(3), pages 325-345, June.
- Magda Bianco & Salvatore Chiri, 1997. "Le partecipazioni bancarie nelle imprese in Italia: investimenti e ristrutturazioni finanziarie," Banca Impresa Società, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 393-426.
- Enrica Detragiache & Paolo Garella & Luigi Guiso, 2000. "Multiple versus Single Banking Relationships: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1133-1161, June.
- Chirinko, Robert S. & Elston, Julie Ann, 2006.
"Finance, control and profitability: the influence of German banks,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 69-88, January.
- Robert Chirinko & Julie Ann Elston, 2003. "Finance, Control, and Profitability: The Influence of German Banks," Emory Economics 0304, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Robert S. Chirinko & Julie Ann Elston, 2004. "Finance, Control, And Profitability: The Influence Of German Banks," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-26, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Robert S. Chirinko & Julie Ann Elston, 2003. "Finance, Control, and Profitability: The Influence of German Banks," CESifo Working Paper Series 1073, CESifo Group Munich.
- Paul A. Gompers & Andrew Metrick, 2001.
"Institutional Investors and Equity Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 116(1), pages 229-259.
- Paul A. Gompers & Andrew Metrick, "undated". "Institutional Investors and Equity Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 20-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Paul A. Gompers & Andrew Metrick, 1998. "Institutional Investors and Equity Prices," NBER Working Papers 6723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yishay Yafeh & Oved Yosha, 2003. "Large Shareholders and Banks: Who Monitors and How?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(484), pages 128-146, January.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, "undated". "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1991.
"Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989. "Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-685, May.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994.
"A Theory of Debt and Equity: Diversity of Securities and Manager-Shareholder Congruence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 109(4), pages 1027-1054.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "A theory of debt and equity: diversity of securities and manager-shareholder congruence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9593, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- David E. Weinstein & Yishay Yafeh, 1998. "On the Costs of a Bank-Centered Financial System: Evidence from the Changing Main Bank Relations in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 635-672, April.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Pushner, George M., 1994.
"Ownership structure and corporate performance in Japan,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 239-261, October.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & George M. Pushner, 1992. "Ownership Structure and Corporate Performance in Japan," NBER Working Papers 4092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gorton, Gary & Schmid, Frank A., 2000.
"Universal banking and the performance of German firms,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 29-80.
- Gary Gorton & Frank A. Schmid, 1996. "Universal Banking and the Performance of German Firms," NBER Working Papers 5453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Stulz, Rene M, 2000. "Do Banking Shocks Affect Borrowing Firm Performance? An Analysis of the Japanese Experience," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Berlin, Mitchell & John, Kose & Saunders, Anthony, 1996.
"Bank Equity Stakes in Borrowing Firms and Financial Distress,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 889-919.
- Mitchell Berlin & Kose John & Anthony Saunders, 1995. "Bank equity stakes in borrowing firms and financial distress," Working Papers 96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Prowse, Stephen D, 1992. " The Structure of Corporate Ownership in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1121-1140, July.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Morck, Randall & Nakamura, Masao & Shivdasani, Anil, 2000. "Banks, Ownership Structure, and Firm Value in Japan," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 539-567, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Levis, Mario & Meoli, Michele & Migliorati, Katrin, 2014. "The rise of UK Seasoned Equity Offerings (SEOs) fees during the financial crisis: The role of institutional shareholders and underwriters," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 13-28.
- Rabah Amir & Michael Troege, 2011. "On the effects of banks’ equity ownership on credit markets," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 31-52, February.
- repec:eee:riibaf:v:42:y:2017:i:c:p:784-793 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ruiz-Mallorquí, María Victoria & Santana-Martín, Domingo J., 2011. "Dominant institutional owners and firm value," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 118-129, January.
- Lieven Baert & Rudi Vander Vennet, 2009. "Bank Ownership, Firm Value and Firm Capital Structure in Europe," Working Paper / FINESS 2.2, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Laetitia Lepetit & Frank Strobel, 2012. "Bank equity Involvement in Industrial Firms and Bank Risk," Working Papers hal-00916709, HAL.
- repec:kap:jfsres:v:51:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s10693-016-0249-y is not listed on IDEAS
- Mário Santos & António Moreira & Elisabete Vieira, 2014. "Ownership concentration, contestability, family firms, and capital structure," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 18(4), pages 1063-1107, November.
- Takanori Tanaka, 2009. "Managerial Entrenchment and Corporate Bond Financing: Evidence from Japan," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-10, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- repec:eee:riibaf:v:42:y:2017:i:c:p:285-294 is not listed on IDEAS
- Suzuki, Katsushi, 2010. "Do the equity holding and soundness of bank underwriters affect issue costs of SEOs?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 984-995, May.
More about this item
KeywordsLending Cross shareholding Conflict of interest;
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:32:y:2008:i:10:p:2237-2247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.