Managerial Entrenchment and Corporate Bond Financing: Evidence from Japan
This paper investigates whether managerial entrenchment of controlling shareholders affects corporate bond financing. Using data on Japanese manufacturing firms, we find that firms with controlling shareholders issue less straight corporate bonds than other firms. The results show that managerial entrenchment of controlling shareholders has an influential impact on corporate bond financing.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.econ.osaka-u.ac.jp/library/global/e_HP/e_g_shiryo.html|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip E. Berger & Eli Ofek & David Yermack, 1996.
"Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
96-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Berger, Philip G & Ofek, Eli & Yermack, David L, 1997. " Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1411-38, September.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Liu, Wei-Lin, 2007. "Is universal banking justified? Evidence from bank underwriting of corporate bonds in Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 142-186, April.
- Sanjeev Bhojraj & Partha Sengupta, 2003. "Effect of Corporate Governance on Bond Ratings and Yields: The Role of Institutional Investors and Outside Directors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(3), pages 455-476, July.
- Walter Novaes, 2003.
"Capital Structure Choice When Managers Are in Control: Entrenchment versus Efficiency,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(1), pages 49-82, January.
- Walter Novaes & Luigi Zingales, 1995. "Capital Structure Choice when Managers are in Control: Entrenchment versus Efficiency," NBER Working Papers 5384, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barucci, Emilio & Mattesini, Fabrizio, 2008.
"Bank shareholding and lending: Complementarity or substitution? Some evidence from a panel of large Italian firms,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2237-2247, October.
- Emilio Barucci & Fabrizio Mattesini, 2008. "Bank shareholding and lending: complementarity or substitution? Some evidence from a panel of large Italian firms!," CEIS Research Paper 118, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 14 Jul 2008.
- Ashbaugh-Skaife, Hollis & Collins, Daniel W. & LaFond, Ryan, 2006. "The effects of corporate governance on firms' credit ratings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 203-243, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osk:wpaper:0910. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Atsuko SUZUKI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.