Economic consequences of firms' depreciation method choice: Evidence from capital investments
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Dechow, Patricia M. & Sloan, Richard G., 1991. "Executive incentives and the horizon problem : An empirical investigation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 51-89, March.
- Holthausen, Robert W., 1981. "Evidence on the effect of bond covenants and management compensation contracts on the choice of accounting techniques: The case of the depreciation switch-back," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 73-109, March.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R. & Rajgopal, Shiva, 2005.
"The economic implications of corporate financial reporting,"
Journal of Accounting and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1-3), pages 3-73, December.
- John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey & Shiva Rajgopal, 2004. "The Economic Implications of Corporate Financial Reporting," NBER Working Papers 10550, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schall, Lawrence D & Sundem, Gary L & Geijsbeek, William R, Jr, 1978. "Survey and Analysis of Capital Budgeting Methods," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 281-287, March.
- Puhani, Patrick A, 2000. " The Heckman Correction for Sample Selection and Its Critique," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 53-68, February.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "The Stock Market and Investment," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 115-131.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1991. "Loss Aversion in Riskless Choice: A Reference-Dependent Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1039-1061.
- Leuz, C & Verrecchia, RE, 2000. "The economic consequences of increased disclosure," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38, pages 91-124.
- McConnell, John J. & Muscarella, Chris J., 1985. "Corporate capital expenditure decisions and the market value of the firm," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 399-422, September.
- Heath, Chip & Fennema, M. G., 1996. "Mental Depreciation and Marginal Decision Making," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 95-108, November.
- Leftwich, Richard, 1981. "Evidence of the impact of mandatory changes in accounting principles on corporate loan agreements," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 3-36, March.
- Okada, Erica Mina, 2001. " Trade-Ins, Mental Accounting, and Product Replacement Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(4), pages 433-446, March.
- repec:bla:joares:v:31:y:1993:i:2:p:246-271 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shin, Hyun-Han & Kim, Yong H., 2002. "Agency costs and efficiency of business capital investment: evidence from quarterly capital expenditures," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 139-158, March.
- Fields, Thomas D. & Lys, Thomas Z. & Vincent, Linda, 2001. "Empirical research on accounting choice," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 255-307, September.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-636, May-June.
- Horn, Henrik & Mavroidis, Petros C., 2005. "Introduction," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(S1), pages 1-11, January.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Leftwich, Richard W., 1983. "The economic consequences of accounting choice implications of costly contracting and monitoring," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 77-117, April.
- Kimberly Moreno, 2002. "The Impact of Affective Reactions on Risky Decision Making in Accounting Contexts," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 1331-1349, December.
- Bowen, Robert M. & DuCharme, Larry & Shores, D., 1995. "Stakeholders' implicit claims and accounting method choice," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 255-295, December.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1996. " The Capital Budgeting Process: Incentives and Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1139-1174, September.
- Kaplan, Robert S & Roll, Richard, 1972. "Investor Evaluation of Accounting Information: Some Empirical Evidence," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 225-257, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dechow, Patricia & Ge, Weili & Schrand, Catherine, 2010. "Understanding earnings quality: A review of the proxies, their determinants and their consequences," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2-3), pages 344-401, December.
- Buso, Marco & Marty, Frederic & Tran, Phuong Tra, 2017.
"Public-private partnerships from budget constraints: Looking for debt hiding?,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 56-84.
- Marco Buso & Frederic Marty & Tra Tran Phuong, 2014. "Public Private Partnership from Budget Constraints: Looking for Debt Hiding?," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0189, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Marco Buso & Frédéric Marty & Tran-Phuong Tra, 2016. "Public Private Partnerships from Budget Constraints: Looking for Debt Hiding?," Working Papers halshs-01275217, HAL.
- Marco Buso & Frédéric Marty & Tran-Phuong Tra, 2017. "Public-private partnerships from budget constraints: Looking for debt hiding?," Post-Print halshs-01461826, HAL.
- Marco Buso & Frédéric Marty & Tran-Phuong Tra, 2014. "Public Private Partnership from Budget Constraints: Looking for Debt Hiding?," Working Papers halshs-01091725, HAL.
- repec:spr:reaccs:v:23:y:2018:i:1:d:10.1007_s11142-017-9428-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- García Lara, Juan Manuel & García Osma, Beatriz & Penalva, Fernando, 2016. "Accounting conservatism and firm investment efficiency," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 221-238.
- Ackermann, Hagen & Fochmann, Martin, 2014. "The effect of straight-line and accelerated depreciation rules on risky investment decisions: An experimental study," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 158, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
- Li-jun Zhao & Zheng-wei Wang, 2016. "The Dark Side of the Chinese Stock Market: Managerial Rent-Seeking through Equity Incentives," International Journal of Economics and Finance, Canadian Center of Science and Education, vol. 8(4), pages 156-165, April.
- Beatriz García & Juan M. Garcia Lara & Fenando Penalva, 2010. "Accounting Conservatism and Firm Investment Efficiency," Working Papers 1004, Departament Empresa, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, revised Jan 2010.
- repec:eco:journ1:2017-04-43 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsDepreciation method choice Capital investments Straight-line depreciation Accelerated depreciation;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jaecon:v:48:y:2009:i:1:p:54-68. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jae .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.