A learning perspective on the offshoring of advanced services
Based on longitudinal case studies of offshoring of advanced IT and engineering services from Danish firms to Indian firms, this paper explores organizational learning that occurs over time in both home and host firms and uses learning as a measure of the firm impact of advanced services offshoring. The findings are consistent with the theoretical view that advanced services offshoring must be understood as an antecedent for strategic business development and organizational change in both home and host firms. The study shows that when offshoring partnerships mature and firms gain experience, learning in both home and host firms evolves over time and differs in many cases from their initial objectives and expectations. In some of the Danish firms engaging in offshoring even ignites a process of strategic transformation. Both Danish and Indian firms use the input from their offshoring partnership to upgrade their organizations and business processes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Yifei Sun & Maximilian Von Zedtwitz & Denis Fred Simon, 2007. "Globalization of R&D and China: An Introduction," Asia Pacific Business Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 311-319, July.
- Dossani, Rafiq & Kenney, Martin, 2007. "The Next Wave of Globalization: Relocating Service Provision to India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 772-791, May.
- Jonathan P. Doh, 2005. "Offshore Outsourcing: Implications for International Business and Strategic Management Theory and Practice," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 695-704, 05.
- Dieter Ernst, 2002.
"Global production networks and the changing geography of innovation systems. Implications for developing countries,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 497-523.
- Dieter Ernst, 2000. "Global Production Networks and the Changing Geography of Innovation Systems: Implications for Developing Countries," Economics Study Area Working Papers 09, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Peter J Buckley & R D Pearce, 1979. "Overseas Production and Exporting by the World's Largest Enterprises: A Study in Sourcing Policy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(1), pages 9-20, March.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005.
"Fear of service outsourcing: is it justified?,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(42), pages 308-347, 04.
- Richard W Moxon, 1975. "The Motivation for Investment in Offshore Plants: The Case of the U.S. Electronics Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 6(1), pages 51-66, March.
- Arie Lewin & Carine Peeters, 2006. "Offshoring administrative and technical work: business hype or the onset of fundamental strategic and organizational transformation ?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9039, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Peter Maskell & Torben Pedersen & Bent Petersen & Jens Dick-Nielsen, 2007.
"Learning Paths to Offshore Outsourcing: From Cost Reduction to Knowledge Seeking,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 239-257.
- Peter Maskell & Torben Pedersen & Bent Petersen & Jens Dick-Nielsen, 2005. "Learning Paths to Offshore Outsourcing - From Cost Reduction to Knowledge Seeking," DRUID Working Papers 05-17, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Fred Niederman & Sumit Kundu & Silvia Salas, 2006. "IT Software Development Offshoring: A Multi-Level Theoretical Framework and Research Agenda," Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), IGI Global, vol. 14(2), pages 52-74, April.
- Petersen, Bent & Pedersen, Torben, 2002. "Coping with liability of foreignness: Different learning engagements of entrant firms," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 339-350.
- David L. Levy, 2005. "Offshoring in the New Global Political Economy," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 685-693, 05.
- Peter D. Ørberg Jensen & Jacob Funk Kirkegaard & Nicolai Søndergaard Laugesen, 2006. "Offshoring in Europe—Evidence of a Two-Way Street from Denmark," Working Paper Series WP06-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Dossani, Rafiq & Kenney, Martin, 2003. "Went for Cost, Stayed for Quality?: Moving the Back Office to India," UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series qt0b7764tt, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
- Patibandla, Murali & Petersen, Bent, 2002. "Role of Transnational Corporations in the Evolution of a High-Tech Industry: The Case of India's Software Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1561-1577, September.
- Bunyaratavej, Kraiwinee & Hahn, Eugene D. & Doh, Jonathan P., 2007. "International offshoring of services: A parity study," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 7-21, March.
- Diana Farrell, 2005. "Offshoring: Value Creation through Economic Change," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 675-683, 05.
- Robert Jensen & Gabriel Szulanski, 2004. "Stickiness and the adaptation of organizational practices in cross-border knowledge transfers," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(6), pages 508-523, November.
- Kedia, Ben L. & Lahiri, Somnath, 2007. "International outsourcing of services: A partnership model," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 22-37, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intman:v:15:y:2009:i:2:p:181-193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.