International outsourcing of services: A partnership model
The business landscape is currently witnessing widespread migration of service functions from developed nations like the U.S to several foreign destinations as India, China, Ireland, Philippines etc. This happens as more and more firms engage in international outsourcing of services (IOS) to survive in today's highly competitive business environment. Despite increase in IOS, the nature of partnerships involved between clients and their overseas providers have not received adequate attention in the scholarly literature. In this paper, we develop a conceptual model that explains three possible types of IOS partnership. We discuss how these partnerships vary in the way they are conceived and implemented. Propositions are offered after elaborating on each type of partnership. We conclude by discussing the academic and practical implications of our model.
Volume (Year): 13 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, Fang & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "Organizational learning, commitment, and joint value creation in interfirm relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 81-89, January.
- Graf, Michael & Mudambi, Susan M., 2005. "The outsourcing of IT-enabled business processes: A conceptual model of the location decision," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 253-268, June.
- Jonathan P. Doh, 2005. "Offshore Outsourcing: Implications for International Business and Strategic Management Theory and Practice," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 695-704, 05.
- Erran Carmel & Brian Nicholson, 2005. "Small Firms and Offshore Software Outsourcing: High Transaction Costs and Their Mitigation," Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), IGI Global, vol. 13(3), pages 33-54, July.
- David G Sirmon & Peter J Lane, 2004. "A model of cultural differences and international alliance performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 306-319, July.
- Cui, Anna Shaojie & Griffith, David A. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer & Dabic, Marina, 2006. "The influence of market and cultural environmental factors on technology transfer between foreign MNCs and local subsidiaries: A Croatian illustration," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 100-111, June.
- Erber, Georg & Sayed-Ahmed, Aida, 2004. "Offshore outsourcing - A global shift in the present IT industry," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 22/2005, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
- Cullen, John B. & Johnson, Jean L. & Sakano, Tomoaki, 2000. "Success through commitment and trust: the soft side of strategic alliance management," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 223-240.
- Margaret A. Peteraf & Jay B. Barney, 2003. "Unraveling the resource-based tangle," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 309-323.
- Weidenbaum, Murray, 2005. "Outsourcing: Pros and cons," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 311-315.
- Czinkota, Michael R. & Ronkainen, Ilkka A., 2005. "A forecast of globalization, international business and trade: report from a Delphi study," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 111-123, May.
- Parkhe, Arvind, 2001. "Executive briefing interfirm diversity in global alliances," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 44(6), pages 2-4.
- Bryce, David J. & Useem, Michael, 1998. "The impact of corporate outsourcing on company value," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 635-643, December.
- Janet Y Murray & Masaaki Kotabe & Joe Nan Zhou, 2005. "Strategic alliance-based sourcing and market performance: evidence from foreign firms operating in China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(2), pages 187-208, March.
- Stack, Martin & Downing, Ricard, 2005. "Another look at offshoring: Which jobs are at risk and why?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 513-523.
- Neng Liang & Arvind Parkhe, 1997. "Importer Behavior: the neglected Counterpart of International Exchange," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(3), pages 495-530, September.
- Fred Niederman & Sumit Kundu & Silvia Salas, 2006. "IT Software Development Offshoring: A Multi-Level Theoretical Framework and Research Agenda," Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), IGI Global, vol. 14(2), pages 52-74, April.
- Mol, Michael J. & Pauwels, Pieter & Matthyssens, Paul & Quintens, Lieven, 2004. "A technological contingency perspective on the depth and scope of international outsourcing," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 287-305.
- C. Alan Garner, 2004. "Offshoring in the service sector : economic impact and policy issues," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 5-37.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intman:v:13:y:2007:i:1:p:22-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.