The impact of professional athlete sponsorship on educational attainment in Western Kenya
This paper analyzes how a primary school affiliation with a professional athlete affects pupils’ educational attainment on Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE). Taking an advantage of a data set of 2010 KCPE scores for 80 primary schools in the Eldoret district, the study statistically illustrates a strong positive correlation between professional athlete sponsorship and educational attainment of pupils on all subject portions of the KCPE exam, except Kiswahili. The evidence presented in this paper highlights the impact of the athlete sponsorship on quality of education in Kenya.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2015)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/international-journal-of-educational-development|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arjun S. Bedi & Paul K. Kimalu & Damiano Kulundu Mandab & Nancy Nafula, 2004.
"The Decline in Primary School Enrolment in Kenya,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(1), pages 1-43, March.
- Bedi, A.S. & Kimalu, P. & Manda, D.K. & Nafula, N., 2002. "The decline in primary school enrolment in Kenya," ISS Working Papers - General Series 19103, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Parshall, Lily & Pillai, Dana & Mohan, Shashank & Sanoh, Aly & Modi, Vijay, 2009. "National electricity planning in settings with low pre-existing grid coverage: Development of a spatial model and case study of Kenya," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2395-2410, June.
- Nishimura, Mikiko & Yamano, Takashi, 2013. "Emerging Private Education in Africa: Determinants of School Choice in Rural Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 266-275.
- Deininger, Klaus, 2003. "Does cost of schooling affect enrollment by the poor? Universal primary education in Uganda," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 291-305, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:injoed:v:41:y:2015:i:c:p:97-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.