Identifying synergies and complementarities between MDGs: Results from cluster analysis
The MDGs are interlinked: acceleration in one goal is likely to speed up progress in others. Nevertheless, these synergies are not always visible, and may differ across countries. Using bivariate cluster analysis, this paper investigates whether distinct groups of developing countries can be identified, using statistical methods, on the basis of the correlation of changes in main MDG indicators over the 1990-2008 period. Potential groups include:  “good performers”, characterized by strong positive synergies in MDGs indicators;  “poor performers”, where there are synergies in poor progress towards the MDGs and  “partial performers” countries where progress in one MDG went along with regress or stagnation in another. We then study the determinants of cluster membership. While growth in GDP per capita is, unsurprisingly, best able to distinguish between “good” and “poor” performers, a poor institutional framework and deteriorations in the income distribution is a notable correlate of partial progress, thus apparently undermining synergies in reaching the MDGs. In light of the current discussions about the post-MDG system, our results suggest that synergies between MDG progress can be achieved but they cannot be taken for granted. Improving institutional performance and reducing inequality appear particularly important drivers of promoting such synergies.
|Date of creation:||02 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 551 39 14066
Fax: + 49 551 39 14059
Web page: http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/82144.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abu-Ghaida, Dina & Klasen, Stephan, 2004.
"The Costs of Missing the Millennium Development Goal on Gender Equity,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1031, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Abu-Ghaida, Dina & Klasen, Stephan, 2004. "The Costs of Missing the Millennium Development Goal on Gender Equity," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1075-1107, July.
- Abu-Ghaida, Dina & Klasen, Stephan, 2003. "The Costs of Missing the Millennium Development Goal on Gender Equity," Discussion Papers in Economics 2, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Alberto Minujin & Enrique Delamonica, 2003. "Mind the Gap! Widening Child Mortality Disparities," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 397-418.
- World Bank, 2010. "World Development Indicators 2010," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4373.
- Klasen, Stephan & Harttgen, Kenneth & Grosse, Melanie, 2005.
"Measuring Pro-Poor Growth with Non-Income Indicators,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005
22, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Melanie Grosse & Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen, 2005. "Measuring Pro-Poor Growth with Non-Income Indicators," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 132, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Clemens, Michael A. & Demombynes, Gabriel, 2010.
"When does rigorous impact evaluation make a difference ? the case of the millennium villages,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5477, The World Bank.
- Michael A. Clemens & Gabriel Demombynes, 2011. "When does rigorous impact evaluation make a difference? The case of the Millennium Villages," Journal of Development Effectiveness, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 305-339, September.
- Edward Anderson & Oliver Morrissey, 2006. "A statistical approach to identifying poorly performing countries," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(3), pages 469-489.
- Fukuda-Parr, Sakiko & Greenstein, Joshua & Stewart, David, 2013.
"How Should MDG Success and Failure be Judged: Faster Progress or Achieving the Targets?,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 19-30.
- Sakiko Fukuda-Parr & Joshua Greenstein, 2010. "How should MDG Implementation be Measured: Faster Progress or Meeting Targets?," Working Papers 63, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Sakiko Fukuda-Parr & Joshua Greenstein, 2010. "How Should MDG Implementation Be Measured: Faster Progress or Meeting Targets?," One Pager 109, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Kazianga, Harounan & de Walque, Damien & Alderman, Harold, 2009.
"Educational and health impacts of two school feeding schemes : evidence from a randomized trial in rural Burkina Faso,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4976, The World Bank.
- Harounan Kazianga & Damien de Walque & Harold Alderman, 2009. "Educational and Health Impacts of Two School Feeding Schemes: Evidence from a Randomized Trial in Rural Burkina Faso," Economics Working Paper Series 0904, Oklahoma State University, Department of Economics and Legal Studies in Business.
- Michael Clemens & Charles Kenny & Todd Moss, 2004.
"The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Clemens, Michael A. & Kenny, Charles J. & Moss, Todd J., 2007. "The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 735-751, May.
- Michael A. Clemens & Charles J. Kenny & Todd J. Moss, 2004. "The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success," Working Papers 40, Center for Global Development.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong Wha, 2013.
"A new data set of educational attainment in the world, 1950–2010,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 184-198.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2010. "A New Data Set of Educational Attainment in the World, 1950-2010," NBER Working Papers 15902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephan KLASEN & Simon LANGE, 2012.
"Getting Progress Right : Measuring Progress Towards the MDGs Against Historical Trends,"
- Stephan KLASEN & Simon LANGE, 2012. "Getting Progress Right : Measuring Progress Towards the MDGs Against Historical Trends," Working Papers P60, FERDI.
- Stephan Klasen & Simon Lange, 2011. "Getting Progress Right: Measuring Progress Towards the MDGs Against Historical Trends," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 87, Courant Research Centre PEG, revised 20 Feb 2012.
- White, Howard & Blondal, Nina, 2007.
"Projecting Progress toward the Millennium Development Goals,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- White, Howard & Blondal, Nina, 2007. "Projecting Progress toward the Millennium Development Goals," MPRA Paper 5687, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Glenn Milligan & Martha Cooper, 1985. "An examination of procedures for determining the number of clusters in a data set," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 50(2), pages 159-179, June.
- Howard White & Edoardo Masset, 2007. "Assessing interventions to improve child nutrition: a theory-based impact evaluation of the Bangladesh Integrated Nutrition Project," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 627-652.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521517218 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kakwani, N., 1993. "Performance in living standards : An international comparison," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 307-336, August.
- Deininger, Klaus, 2003. "Does cost of schooling affect enrollment by the poor? Universal primary education in Uganda," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 291-305, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:gotcrc:126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dominik Noe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.