Menu costs and dynamic duopoly
Examining a state-dependent pricing model in the presence of menu costs and dynamic duopolistic interactions, this paper claims that the assumption regarding market structure is crucial for identifying the menu costs for price changes. Prices in a dynamic duopolistic market can be more rigid than those in more competitive markets, such as a monopolistic-competition market. Therefore, the estimates of menu costs under monopolistic competition are potentially biased upward due to the price rigidity from strategic interactions between dynamic duopolistic firms. By developing and estimating a dynamic discrete-choice model with duopoly to correct for this potential bias, this paper provides empirical evidence that dynamic strategic interactions, as well as menu costs, play an important role in explaining the observed degree of price rigidity in weekly retail prices.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Lucas & Mike Golosov, 2004.
"Menu Costs and Phillips Curves,"
2004 Meeting Papers
144, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-66, September.
- Susan Athey & Kyle Bagwell & Chris Sanchirico, 2004.
"Collusion and Price Rigidity,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 317-349, 04.
- Kyle Bagwell, 2004. "Collusion and Price Rigidity," Theory workshop papers 658612000000000081, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Susan Athey & Kyle Bagwell & Chris Sanchirico, 1998. "Collusion and Price Rigidity," Working papers 98-23, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Lipman, Barton L. & Wang, Ruqu, 2000.
"Switching Costs in Frequently Repeated Games,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 149-190, August.
- Martin Pesendorfer, 2002. "Retail Sales: A Study of Pricing Behavior in Supermarkets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(1), pages 33-66, January.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2004.
"Sequential Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Games,"
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Finite state markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-181.
- repec:oup:restud:v:66:y:1999:i:2:p:275-308 is not listed on IDEAS
- Emi Nakamura & Dawit Zerom, 2010. "Accounting for Incomplete Pass-Through," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(3), pages 1192-1230.
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Woodford, Michael, 1992.
"Oligopolistic Pricing and the Effects of Aggregate Demand on Economic Activity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1153-1207, December.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1989. "Oligopolistic Pricing and the Effects of Aggregate Demand on Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 3206, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sam Peltzman, 2000.
"Prices Rise Faster than They Fall,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 466-502, June.
- Sam Peltzman, 1998. "Prices Rise Faster Than They Fall," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 142, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Saloner, Garth, 1990. "Collusive Price Leadership," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 93-111, September.
- Chaim Fershtman & Ariel Pakes, 1999.
"A Dynamic Oligopoly with Collusion and Price Wars,"
NBER Working Papers
6936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Levy & Mark Bergen & Shantanu Dutta & Robert Venable, 2005. "The Magnitude of Menu Costs: Direct Evidence from Large U.S. Supermarket Chains," Macroeconomics 0505012, EconWPA.
- Pradeep Chintagunta & Jean-Pierre Dubé & Vishal Singh, 2003. "Balancing Profitability and Customer Welfare in a Supermarket Chain," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 111-147, March.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2002.
"Swapping the Nested Fixed Point Algorithm: A Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1519-1543, July.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 1999. "Swapping the Nested Fixed-Point Algorithm: a Class of Estimators for Discrete Markov Decision Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 332, Society for Computational Economics.
- Emi Nakamura & Dawit Zerom, 2009.
"Accounting for Incomplete Pass-Through,"
NBER Working Papers
15255, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erdem, Tulin & Keane, Michael P. & Sun, Baohong, 1998. "Missing price and coupon availability data in scanner panels: Correcting for the self-selection bias in choice model parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 177-196, November.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:123:y:2008:i:4:p:1415-1464 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:114:y:1999:i:2:p:655-690 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:110:y:1995:i:1:p:245-74 is not listed on IDEAS
- Slade, Margaret E., 1999. "Sticky prices in a dynamic oligopoly: An investigation of (s,S) thresholds," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 477-511, May.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G., 1986. "The frequency of price adjustment : A study of the newsstand prices of magazines," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 255-274, April.
- Alan L. Montgomery, 1997. "Creating Micro-Marketing Pricing Strategies Using Supermarket Scanner Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(4), pages 315-337.
- Dennis W. Carlton, 1986.
"The Rigidity of Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Igal Hendel & Aviv Nevo, 2003. "The Post-Promotion Dip Puzzle: What do the Data Have to Say?," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 409-424, December.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:112:y:1997:i:3:p:791-825 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:restud:v:65:y:1998:i:1:p:87-107 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:31:y:2013:i:1:p:102-118. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.