On equivalence between Cournot competition and the Kreps–Scheinkman game
The existing literature dealing with the equivalence between the Kreps–Scheinkman (KS) game and Cournot competition has focused on the case of a concave demand function. This paper analyzes the equivalence possibilities under the much extended circumstances of strictly decreasing marginal (industrial) revenue, a twice differentiable demand function, and convex costs. It proves that in the extended context, the outcomes in the subgame perfect Nash equilibrium (SPNE) of the KS game are those of Cournot equilibrium (CE) and that a CE is on the path of the SPNE of the KS game if the marginal cost of each firm in some special (borderline) cases is not too high. It further proves that for decreasing continuous demand and strictly increasing costs, the outcome in the SPNE of the KS game (if the SPNE exists) is that of CE. Based on these results, we argue that the KS game can serve as the basic form for studying “quantity competition” and for developing a T-stage game-theoretical framework to make competition form and timing endogenous.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990.
"Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988. "Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria," Papers 88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Irwin, Douglas A. & Pavcnik, Nina, 2004. "Airbus versus Boeing revisited: international competition in the aircraft market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 223-245, December.
- Douglas A. Irwin & Nina Pavcnik, 2001. "Airbus versus Boeing Revisited: International Competition in the Aircraft Market," NBER Working Papers 8648, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irwin, Douglas & Pavcnik, Nina, 2003. "Airbus versus Boeing Revisited: International Competition in the Aircraft Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3876, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gernot Klepper, 1994. "Industrial Policy in the Transport Aircraft Industry," NBER Chapters,in: Empirical Studies of Strategic Trade Policy, pages 101-130 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Madden, 1998. "Elastic demand, sunk costs and the Kreps-Scheinkman extension of the Cournot model," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 12(1), pages 199-212.
- Dan Kovenock & Raymond J. Deneckere, 1996. "Bertrand-Edgeworth duopoly with unit cost asymmetry (*)," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 8(1), pages 1-25.
- Billette de Villemeur, Etienne & Vinella, Annalisa, 2011. "Long-term contracting in hydro-thermal electricity generation: Welfare and environmental impact," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 20-32, January.
- de Villemeur, Étienne & Vinella, Annalisa, 2010. "Long-term contracting in hydro-thermal electricity generation: welfare and environmental impact," TSE Working Papers 10-182, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- de Villemeur, Étienne & Vinella, Annalisa, 2010. "Long-term contracting in hydro-thermal electricity generation: welfare and environmental impact," IDEI Working Papers 628, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Lepore, Jason J., 2008. "Cournot and Bertrand-Edgeworth competition when rivals' costs are unknown," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 237-240, December.
- Nicolas Gruyer, 2009. "A note on quantity precommitment, cournot outcome and asymmetric capacity costs," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(1), pages 384-391.
- Cheng-Zhong Qin & Charles Stuart, 1997. "Bertrand versus Cournot revisited," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 10(3), pages 497-507.
- Klepper, Gernot, 1990. "Entry into the market for large transport aircraft," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 775-798, June.
- Robson, Arthur J, 1990. "Duopoly with Endogenous Strategic Timing: Stackelberg Regained," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(2), pages 263-274, May.
- Partha Dasgupta & Eric Maskin, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, II: Applications," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 27-41.
- Crampes, C. & Moreaux, M., 2001. "Water resource and power generation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 975-997, May.
- Lepore Jason J, 2009. "Consumer Rationing and the Cournot Outcome," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-46, September.
- Dastidar, Krishnendu Ghosh, 2004. "On Stackelberg games in a homogeneous product market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 549-562, June.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)