Long-term contracting in hydro-thermal electricity generation: welfare and environmental impact
We consider electricity generation industries where thermal operators imperfectly compete with hydro operators that manage a (scarce) water stock stored in reservoirs over a natural cycle. We explore how the exercise of intertemporal market power affects social welfare and environmental quality. We show that, as compared to the outcome of spot markets, long-term contracting either exacerbates or alleviates price distortions, depending upon the consumption pattern over the water cycle. Moreover, it induces a second-order environmental effect that, in the presence of a thermal competitive fringe, is critically related to the thermal market shares in the different periods of the cycle. We conclude by providing policy insights.
|Date of creation:||13 Jul 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Utilities Policy, vol. 19, n°1, janvier 2011, p. 20-32.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2010. "Energy consumption and growth in South America: Evidence from a panel error correction model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1421-1426, November.
- Barnett, A H, 1980. "The Pigouvian Tax Rule under Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1037-1041, December.
- Billette de Villemeur, Etienne & Pineau, Pierre-Olivier, 2010.
"Environmentally damaging electricity trade,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1548-1558, March.
- Pineau, Pierre-Olivier & de Villemeur, Étienne, 2009. "Environmentally Damaging Electricity Trade," IDEI Working Papers 592, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Pineau, Pierre-Olivier & de Villemeur, Étienne, 2009. "Environmentally Damaging Electricity Trade," TSE Working Papers 09-118, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Johnsen, Tor Arnt, 2001. "Demand, generation and price in the Norwegian market for electric power," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 227-251, May.
- Soledad Arellano, 2004. "Market Power in Mixed Hydro-Thermal Electric," Documentos de Trabajo 187, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- M. Soledad Arellano, 2004. "Market Power in Mixed Hydro-Thermal Electric Systems," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 211, Econometric Society.
- Rangel, Luiz Fernando, 2008. "Competition policy and regulation in hydro-dominated electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1292-1302, April.
- Crampes, C. & Moreaux, M., 2001. "Water resource and power generation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 975-997, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)