The incentives for takeover in oligopoly
We present a model of takeover where the target optimally sets its reserve price. Under relatively standard symmetry restrictions, we obtain a unique equilibrium. The probability of takeover is only a function of the number of .rms and of the insiders. share of total industry gains due to the increase in concentration. Our main application is to the linear Cournot and Bertrand models. A takeover is more likely under Bertrand competition if goods are substitutes and more likely under Cournot competition if goods are complements.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 22 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8-9 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Jehiel & Benny Moldovanu, 2000.
"Auctions with Downstream Interaction Among Buyers,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 768-791, Winter.
- Jehiel, Philippe & Moldovanu, Benny, 2000.
"License Auctions and Market Structure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2530, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jehiel, Philippe & Moldovanu, Benny, 2000. "License Auctions and Market Structure," Papers 01-21, Sonderforschungsbreich 504.
- Heidrun C. Hoppe & Philippe Jehiel & Benny Moldovanu, 2006. "License auctions and market structure," Post-Print halshs-00754153, HAL.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Schnabel, Isabel, 2000. "License Auctions and Market Structure," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-21, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Molnár, József, 2007.
"Pre-emptive horizontal mergers : theory and evidence,"
Research Discussion Papers
17/2007, Bank of Finland.
- Jozsef Molnar, 2002. "Preemptive Horizontal Mergers: Theory and Evidence," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0213, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Perry, Martin K & Porter, Robert H, 1985. "Oligopoly and the Incentive for Horizontal Merger," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 219-27, March.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988.
"Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt0tp305nx, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Mark Mitchell & Karen Wruck, 2000.
"A Clinical Exploration of Value Creation and Destruction in Acquisitions, Organizational Design, Incentives, and Internal Capital Markets,"
in: Mergers and Productivity, pages 179-238
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Mark L. Mitchell & Karen H. Wruck, 1997. "A Clinical Exploration of Value Creation and Destruction in Acquisitions: Organizational Design, Incentives, and Internal Capital Markets," NBER Working Papers 5999, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Mark L. Mitchell & Karen H. Wruck, 1997. "A Clinical Exploration of Value Creation and Destruction in Acquisitions: Organizational Design, Incentives, and Internal Capital Markets," CRSP working papers 450, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Sven-Olof Fridolfsson & Johan Stennek, 2001.
"Why Mergers Reduce Profits and Raise Share Prices: A Theory of Preemptive Mergers,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 01-26, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Sven-Olof Fridolfsson & Johan Stennek, 2005. "Why Mergers Reduce Profits And Raise Share Prices-A Theory Of Preemptive Mergers," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(5), pages 1083-1104, 09.
- FRIDOLFSSON, Sven-Olof & STENNEK, Johan, 1999. "Why mergers reduce profits, and raise share prices: A theory of preemptive mergers," Working Papers 1999018, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Nilssen, Tore & Sorgard, Lars, 1998.
"Sequential horizontal mergers,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1683-1702, November.
- Okuguchi, Koji, 1987. "Equilibrium prices in the Bertrand and Cournot oligopolies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 128-139, June.
- Qiu, Larry D., 1997. "On the Dynamic Efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot Equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 213-229, July.
- Häckner, Jonas, 1999.
"A Note on Price and Quantity Competition in Differentiated Oligopolies,"
Research Papers in Economics
1999:9, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Hackner, Jonas, 2000. "A Note on Price and Quantity Competition in Differentiated Oligopolies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 233-239, August.
- Song, Moon H. & Walkling, Ralph A., 2000. "Abnormal returns to rivals of acquisition targets: A test of the 'acquisition probability hypothesis'," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 143-171, February.
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Lars, 1996.
"Endogenous Mergers in Concentrated Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1544, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- Dastidar, Krishnendu Ghosh, 1997. "Comparing Cournot and Bertrand in a Homogeneous Product Market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 205-212, July.
- Raymond Deneckere & Carl Davidson, 1985. "Incentives to Form Coalitions with Bertrand Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(4), pages 473-486, Winter.
- Stephen W. Salant & Sheldon Switzer & Robert J. Reynolds, 1983. "Losses From Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-199.
- Levin, Dan, 1990.
"Horizontal Mergers: The 50-Percent Benchmark,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1238-45, December.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Vives, Xavier, 1985. "On the efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot equilibria with product differentation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 166-175, June.
- Randall Morck & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1988. "Characteristics of Targets of Hostile and Friendly Takeovers," NBER Chapters, in: Corporate Takeovers: Causes and Consequences, pages 101-136 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1984. "Strategic Deterrence of Sequential Entry into an Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(1), pages 1-11, Spring.
- Robert Comment & G. William Schwert, 1993.
"Poison or Placebo? Evidence on the Deterrent and Wealth Effects of Modern Antitakeover Measures,"
NBER Working Papers
4316, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Comment, Robert & Schwert, G. William, 1995. "Poison or placebo? Evidence on the deterrence and wealth effects of modern antitakeover measures," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 3-43, September.
- Brito, Duarte, 2003. "Preemptive mergers under spatial competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1601-1622, December.
- Mihkel M. Tombak, 2002. "Mergers to Monopoly," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 513-546, 09.
- Eckbo, B Espen, 1985. "Mergers and the Market Concentration Doctrine: Evidence from the Capital Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 325-49, July.
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1990. "The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 465-499.
- Cheung, Francis K., 1992. "Two remarks on the equilibrium analysis of horizontal merger," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 119-123, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:22:y:2004:i:8-9:p:1067-1089. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.